[NFB-NM] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: Pearson Announces Career Exploration Mentorship Program for Students, Young Professionals with Disabilities

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 04:00:11 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of David Andrews via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 2:21 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: Pearson Announces Career Exploration
Mentorship Program for Students, Young Professionals with Disabilities

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release Date:
Monday, March 6, 2017
Category:
National
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6802&qid=1674972

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org
Scott Overland
Pearson
202-909-4520

Pearson Announces Career Exploration Mentorship Program for Students, Young
Professionals with Disabilities

Collaboration with National Federation of the Blind brings decades of
experience preparing blind and low vision students for career success

Today Pearson, in collaboration with the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), announced the launch
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6803&qid=1674972
>  of a new career exploration mentorship program for college students and
recent graduates who have disabilities. The program will begin as a pilot,
combining the NFB's expertise in mentoring and advocating for career
opportunities for blind and low-vision students and Pearson's commitment to
providing mentorship to a wide range of students with disabilities. The
program will provide participants with access to guidance, advice, and
support from experienced professionals working in a variety of legal-related
positions at Pearson.

Blind, low vision and students with disabilities often face low expectations
or unnecessary roadblocks when identifying and pursuing career paths.  This
can result in a 'channeling' into jobs that they are not passionate about or
that limit their true potential. Participants in this three-month pilot
program will be paired with a mentor who has been specifically trained on
how to guide and advise blind or disabled students who may be unfamiliar
with the opportunities and preparation necessary to succeed in corporate
environments. Mentors work in a variety of functions on the Pearson legal
team and will help students access a breadth of resources - from meetings
with senior leaders to advice on preparing and tackling education and career
goals to building a resume and identifying interesting internships and jobs.

"I am excited and proud at the level of enthusiasm we have seen in Pearson's
legal department as we have prepared to announce this program. Our goal is
simple, yet incredibly important: to help guide young professionals who are
disabled to find the career opportunities that match their passions," said
Bjarne Tellmann, general counsel for Pearson. "With the experience and
partnership of the NFB, we want to open the door to careers that many young,
disabled people didn't know existed or were accessible to them, and support
them as they take the next step in their professional lives."

"For over seventy-five years, the National Federation of the Blind has
fostered mentoring relationships in order to raise the expectations of the
blind and to help them achieve their dreams and live the lives they want.
Partnering with Pearson is a natural outgrowth of this important work,
allowing aspiring blind professionals to establish mentoring relationships
with their peers and obtain career guidance that will increase the odds of
success. We look forward to working with Pearson to build this program and
get more blind people on the pathway to the board rooms of major
corporations around the world," said Mark Riccobono, President of the
National Federation of the Blind.

Students can begin applying for the pilot program immediately by e-mailing
Elizabeth Delfs at elizabeth.delfs(at)pearsoned(dot)com
<mailto:elizabeth.delfs at pearson.com> . Pearson and the NFB hope to continue
and expand the program past the pilot stage.

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

About Pearson
Pearson is the world's learning company, with expertise in educational
courseware and assessment, and a range of teaching and learning services