[NFB-NM] NFB & Automakers Host Conference on the Promise of Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 03:19:11 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:54 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind & Automakers
Host Conference on the Promise of Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability
Community

For Immediate Release

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Scott Hall

Director of Communications & Public Affairs

Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers

202-326-5571

shall at autoalliance.org

National Federation of the Blind and Automakers Host Conference on the
Promise of Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community

Diverse group of attendees focus on accessibility of autonomous vehicles for
the disabled

Baltimore, MD - Yesterday the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and the
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers ("Auto Alliance") hosted a conference
titled "The Promise: Autonomous Vehicles and the Disability Community". The
event was hosted at NFB's Jernigan Institute in Baltimore, Maryland.

The conference brought together representatives from government, the
automotive industry and advocates for the disabled to discuss the advances,
challenges, and path forward for autonomous vehicle development.

"Historically, accessibility has been a costly post-purchase vehicle
modification for most people with disabilities, and nonexistent for the
blind," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the
Blind. "The National Federation of the Blind was therefore pleased to
co-host this first-of-its-kind gathering of disabled consumers, automotive
industry representatives, ride-sharing providers, and policymakers, laying
the groundwork for accessibility to be included in the development of
promising new vehicle technologies rather than as an afterthought.
Discussion between industry and disabled consumers has already had a
positive impact on the Senate's AV START legislation, and our continued work
together will pave the way for autonomous vehicles to become tools that will
truly enhance independence and opportunity for the blind and other disabled
travelers."

"Automakers have been developing self-driving technologies for years. We are
motivated by the tremendous potential for enhanced safety for everyone and
the opportunity to provide greater mobility freedom to people with
disabilities and the elderly," said Mitch Bainwol, President and CEO of the
Auto Alliance. "Given the enormity of the social benefits, we are anxious to
work with stakeholders and government leaders to develop the policy
framework to realize these benefits as soon as we can."

The conference was a key step in the ongoing conversation about how
autonomous vehicles can be developed and deployed safely, while considering
the needs of those 57 million Americans with disabilities.

Autonomous vehicles offer disabled Americans opportunities for increased
mobility and independence, as well as reliable transportation that could
vastly increase employment opportunities.

The National Federation of the Blind and Auto Alliance urge Congress, the
Administration, and original equipment manufacturers alike to consider the
needs of the disabled as they continue to develop the laws, regulations, and
technology that will bring autonomous vehicles to the masses.

The day's speakers included representatives of the disability community
(including the National Association of the Deaf, National Federation of the
Blind, Paralyzed Veterans of America, American Association of People with
Disabilities, United Spinal Association, American Council of the Blind, and
National Down Syndrome Society); the automotive industry (including General
Motors, Audi of America, Daimler North America, and Volvo Car Group);
government (including representatives from the office of Sen. Gary Peters,
D-Mich., the U.S. Department of Labor, and the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration) and other stakeholders (including representatives
from Uber and Securing America's Future Energy).

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9670&qid=1975605

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9671&qid=1975605

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9672&qid=1975605

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9673&qid=1975605

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9674&qid=1975605

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9675&qid=1975605
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=7701&qid=1975605&h=
41d8f28d0e377605>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=7701&qid=1975605&h=41d8f
28d0e377605> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9676&qid=1975605

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States