[NFB-NM] World Braille Day

Tonia Trapp nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:46:59 UTC 2018

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
www.nfbnm.org

From: Nfb-announce [mailto:nfb-announce-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
David Andrews via Nfb-announce
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 9:30 PM
To: napub at nfbnet.org; nabop at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfb-announce] World Braille Day

statement for World Braille Day, January 4, 2018
By Kevin Carey, Chair of the WBU, World Braille Council

2018 will be one of the most exciting years for braille since its
invention by Louis Braille almost 200 years ago. The World Blind
Union and International Council for Education of People with Visual
Impairment (ICEVI) have recently released a piece of software, Easy
Converter Express, which will enable teachers and others who work
with blind children and adults to produce braille text from digital
files with little or no training. The software is free of charge to
all, but the very richest countries and it can be downloaded from
www.YourDolphin.com/easyconverter-express

The software was developed by the WBU Technology Committee at the
request of ICEVI with funding from the Royal National Institute of
the Blind of the United Kingdom through a grant from google.com.

At the same time, the Orbit 20 refreshable braille display, developed
by a consortium of WBU Members, is beginning to emerge in substantial
quantities from the factory. This device, which was designed in
consultation with the WBU, is a low cost refreshable braille device
which acts as a book reader, a simple note taker and a terminal to
tablets, phones and computers. For more information see:

www.transformingbraille.org/
and
www.YourDolphin.com

As we celebrate this year's World Braille Day, January 4, it is
important that we agree how to give braille a new lease of life now
that we have overcome many of the technical and financial factors
which have made it expensive and hard to obtain. This is also the
year when we will also try to secure the future of braille music by
adopting a much more co-operative approach to its production and
cataloguing.

Braille is still, in spite of a massive increase in audio resources
through internet broadcasting, the primary literacy medium for blind
people; and we know that the use of braille gives a massive boost to
employment opportunities. But if we are to ensure its survival we now
have to do two things: we must make sure that braille as available to
far more children and adults; and we must ensure that braille
producers, no longer limited by the need to make hard copy braille
products, produce far more braille titles for use on braille
displays. The temptation will be to see expanding access to braille
through cheap displays as an add-on to traditional production but the
only way we will be able to afford a rapid expansion of title
availability is to cut hard copy production except in those areas,
like mathematics and law, where it is essential.

We have the technology for a massive breakthrough; now we need to win
the argument about how we maximise it.

World Braille Day is celebrated annually in honour of the birth of
Louis Braille, inventor of the reading and writing system used by
millions of blind and partially sighted people all over the globe.
The World Braille Day provides an opportunity to raise awareness
about issues facing the blind and the importance of continuing to
produce works in braille, providing the blind with access to the same
reading and learning opportunities as the sighted.

The World Blind Union believes that reading is a human right. For
more information and resources about braille, please visit our
resources section of our website at:
http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/resources/Pages/Braille-Information.a
spx