[NFB-NM] The Braille Monitor, January 2018

Tonia Trapp nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 21:21:52 UTC 2018

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
www.nfbnm.org

From: brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org [mailto:brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org]
On Behalf Of Brian Buhrow
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 6:59 PM
To: brl-monitor at nfbcal.org
Subject: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, January 2018

                               BRAILLE MONITOR
Vol. 61, No. 1   January 2018
                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash
drive, by the
      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314
      email address: nfb at nfb.org
      website address: http://www.nfb.org
      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org
      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300
       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind
                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice
            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and
orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles
for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national
office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.
Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the
subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation
of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind
      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
 BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
 IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
                                 OURSELVES.
ISSN 0006-8829
) 2018 by the National Federation of the Blind
      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick
or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a
National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the
familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and
a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This
smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad
covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one
position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.
(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,
the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is
inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital
materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,
when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.
      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to
your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb
drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in
order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with
the drive when you return the device.

Vol. 61, No. 1                                                       January
2018

      Contents

Illustration: A New Home for the Records Center

Ending Accreditation without Authenticity: A Call to Action for the Fourth
Generation of the Federation
by Mark Riccobono

Accreditation: The Pros and Woes of Credentialing
by Edward Bell

Of Little Faith: A Troubling Trend with Blindness Professionals
by Lisa Ferris

To Teach is to Touch a Life Forever: Jerry Whittle: Cherished Teacher,
Mentor, Author, Advocate, and Leader

Our Fight for Literacy
by Lyn Petro

Building the National Federation of the Blind Brand
by Kirsten Mau

Tax Deductions for the Blind: Are They Something We Deserve, and Should We
Fight for Them?
by Mark Riccobono

Driving Blind on the Information Superhighway-The New and Improved Rules of
the Road
by Amy Mason

National Convention Reflections
by Alyssa Shock

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO CAPTION: The old records center full before the file cabinets were
moved to the new location.
[PHOTO CAPTION:  A group of staff wrestle with a filing cabinet to get it
into its proper place.
[PHOTO CAPTION: Staff members smile as they remove file boxes from a cart
to be refiled in the new records center.
[PHOTO CAPTION: Mark Riccobono smiles as he checks in on the crew moving
files and filing cabinets. Staff member, Ryan Pugh, stands in the
background with a cart full of file boxes.
[PHOTO CAPTION: The old records center all emptied out.
[PHOTO CAPTION: The new records center full of newly filled filing cabinets
and wire shelving.

                      A New Home for the Records Center

On a cold December day in Baltimore, a large group of the NFB staff came
together to complete what was truly a herculean task. Their goal was to
move the NFB Record Center from the 4th floor to its new home on the 2nd
floor. A team of nearly thirty enthusiastic staff members moved 110 filing
cabinets, containing the Federation's history spanning from the early 1940s
all the way to the early 2000s. These cabinets contain almost everything
about the NFB during this time period, from the files of the first user
experience study with the Kurzweil Reading Machine in 1977, to the records
of every single Washington Seminar ever held, and to the correspondence of
every NFB affiliate stretching back in time to the early days of the
Federation.

However, it was not just the size and scope of the materials being moved
that proved to be challenging, nor even the sheer weight of so much
collected paper. But the contents of about sixty filing cabinets had to be
unloaded into boxes, moved to the new location, and put back, all while
carefully maintaining their order. Another challenge, this one unexpected,
was the discovery that many of these cabinets had been bolted together from
the inside and needed to be separated before they could be moved.

Yet, undeterred, the amazing team rose to the occasion, put their backs and
their brains into it, and completed this humongous job in under just 6
hours! Once again, the NFB proves that it has some of the best staff in the
world. But what else would you expect from an organization as committed and
inspired as the National Federation of the Blind?

[PHOTO CAPTION: Federationists walk with signs protesting NAC in New York
in 1986.]
 Ending Accreditation without Authenticity: A Call to Action for the Fourth
                        Generation of the Federation
                              by Mark Riccobono

      From the Editor: When I first came into the Federation and started
receiving the Braille Monitor, I read about a battle with an agency called
NAC, then the National Accreditation Council for Agencies Serving the Blind
and Visually Handicapped. NAC said its goal was to bring standards to work
with the blind and to improve the services the blind received, so the
question I needed answered was why my newly-found Federation would object.
It didn't take much reading of the correspondence between President
Jernigan and officials of NAC to understand why. It was made abundantly
clear that the organized blind were not a part of the process; we might be
blind, but we weren't "professionals" in the field and shouldn't pretend to
know the first thing about quality services. The Federation would
articulate a concrete concern, and someone from NAC would respond by saying
that as consumers we could not be expected to understand the work of this
accrediting body, the standards it used, or the reason for those standards;
nor did we have the education and experience to make a determination as to
whether they had been followed. The Federation was told, sometimes gently
and sometimes not, that our error was in presuming to speak to standards
and to service. Indeed we were blind, indeed some of us were articulate,
indeed some of us had impressive credentials in other fields, but this did
not make us qualified to participate in the process of service delivery,
let alone accreditation. In NAC's pronouncements it was clear that, no
matter what we might write or say or do, our opinions were not needed or
sought. We might parrot the language of the professionals and ape their
behavior by dressing well, showing up for meetings, and addressing the
press, but the fact was that being blind meant only that we suffered from
the condition. We certainly could not know anything about how to serve or
take care of those who were blind, let alone administer the agencies that
directed their lives.
      With this reaction to our worthiness as full-fledged human beings
whose very opportunities were being influenced by those who would not
listen, many of us for the first time decided to do the unthinkable-we
would take to the streets and protest. By marching and chanting outside
gatherings of NAC, we earned the ire of some who would give us names that
did not fit with our mission or self-concept. We were called "radical,"
though we did not advocate revolution or even thorough and complete social
reform. Our straightforward and eminently reasonable demand was to have
some influence over the agencies designed to serve us. Sometimes we were
called "militant," but we were not combative, aggressive, or violent in our
call to be heard and recognized. Though the rallying cry "nothing about us
without us" had its origins in fifteenth-century Poland and certainly was
found in our own country's revolution when angrily we denounced taxation
without representation, the slogan did not gain popularity for people with
disabilities until the early 1990s, two decades after the blind
demonstrated our commitment to the concept on the streets of many cities in
our nation.
      The National Accreditation Council has been offensive to blind people
not just because we were left out in its construction, its standards, and
its administration. NAC has let itself be used in ways which have given
agencies a free pass when accused of the misuse of agency money or even the
abuse of blind people, especially blind children. When the Federation
brought legitimate concerns about bad behavior to agency administrators and
their governing boards, these were dismissed. When we took those same
concerns to the press, they were often published, but the agency's defense
began and ended with the assertion that they were accredited by the
National Accreditation Council for Agencies Serving the Blind and Visually
Handicapped. These assertions were verified by NAC, and the charges of bad
conduct and abuse were never investigated by the so-called accrediting
agency. Sometimes the word accreditation was so powerful that in the press
coverage, legitimate concerns of consumers finished a distant second to the
idea that the people in charge of these agencies were professionals who
were being watched over by other professionals. The blind who complained
were portrayed as malcontents who just didn't understand the complexity of
service delivery and who seized upon small incidents and tried to turn them
into significant issues.
      Over time our persistence paid off. The American Foundation for the
Blind, which had given hundreds of thousands of dollars for the creation
and maintenance of NAC, withdrew its funding. The United States Department
of Education, which had been persuaded that accreditation would ensure
quality education, eventually withdrew its funding and its strong push to
have every blindness program in the country accredited by NAC. The number
of agencies accredited by NAC fell each year, the best agencies being the
first to withdraw, and the worst being those who clung to NAC as their
single best defense against accountability and change.
      For more than two decades NAC has existed in name, but has not been a
significant player in the blindness field. Its annual reviews have been
self-studies, and we have never known any of its member agencies to be
rebuked or removed from the NAC family. Agencies wanting meaningful
evaluation have turned to the organizations that represent the consumers
they serve and have relied on other accrediting bodies which deal with
education and rehabilitation. They have decided that nothing in the annual
dues paid to NAC enhances their service and that the satisfaction of their
consumers is the real test of quality service and genuine partnership.
      So imagine our surprise when, after twenty years of relative
inactivity, we learn that NAC has been newly named the National
Accreditation Council for Blind and Low Vision Services and is being
maintained on life support by the Association for the Education and
Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER). Here is what
president Riccobono has to say about the attempt to resurrect NAC and its
continued failure to seek out the input of the organized blind:

      This is a call to action for the blind of America to ensure that the
struggles of our past do not resurface in a manner that impedes our future.
As the fourth generation of the Federation has come into leadership, we
have brought with us a perspective that has been shaped by our history but
has not been significantly influenced by some of the most contentious
struggles of our civil rights movement. This is both an advantage and a
disadvantage. For the leaders of my generation, we grew up in a time when
the National Federation of the Blind was emerging into the position of true
leadership in the field of work with the blind. In many situations during
the past thirty years, we have worked collaboratively with key
professionals in the field to advance issues of significant concern to the
blind.
      In this call to action I will not recount the well-documented history
of NAC. However, for those of my generation who did not live through the
NAC-tracking period of the Federation and for those who need a reminder, I
offer the following excerpts and provide a few references to previous
Monitor articles for background.
           "Through 1966 articles appeared in the Braille Monitor
      condemning a lack of consumer participation in the planning process
      and the regressive nature of many recommendations being proposed for
      the future NAC. The Commission was criticized for institutionalizing
      practices resulting in dependency. To many blind people as well as to
      several agency directors, a small group of professionals with similar
      and overlapping institutional affiliations were trying to dominate the
      field of rehabilitation through a new inclusive organization which was
      saddled with negative and regressive assumptions about blindness
      (Vaughan, 1993)."
            "In a 1971 convention address Dr. Kenneth Jernigan made clear
      that the NFB's quarrel with the National Accreditation Council was
      neither over the concept of accreditation nor because of efforts to
      improve services to blind people. In this same speech Jernigan
      explained his perception of NAC and the way it operated. Consumer
      participation was minimal-tokenism."
            "Over the next twenty years an average of seven articles per
      year appeared critiquing and exposing alleged and documented
      shortcomings of NAC-accredited agencies. Up until 1990 the annual NAC
      board meetings were picketed by two to three hundred blind people who
      traveled from all over the United States to meeting sites (Rabby,
      1984). In almost every state Federation members continually tried,
      often with success, to persuade agencies to disassociate from NAC."
      Although my generation of Federationists did not live through the
right to organize battles of the 1950s, the use of an accreditation system
to protect agencies doing harm to blind people, and active efforts to
prevent blind people from being eligible to teach travel, we should not act
as though those events are not relevant to who we are today and the dreams
we seek for blind people. The history matters, and we the blind are
determined to shape the future. It is said that those who do not learn
history are doomed to repeat it, but I think Mark Twain's perspective might
be more appropriate: History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
      On the eve of the seventy-seventh anniversary of the National
Federation of the Blind, I participated in conversations regarding the
field of work with the blind that sounded very familiar to the stories I
have read about the past-a familiar tune by a new set of performers.
Specifically I am talking about the recent announcement by the Association
for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
(AER) that AER has brought the accreditation program previously managed by
the National Accreditation Council for Blind and Low Vision Services (NAC)
under the executive management of AER. In AER's own words, "This represents
an extraordinary opportunity for AER and the clients who are served by
agencies committed to delivering high-quality services."
      My personal history with NAC might give you some insight as to how I
approached the conversation that appears below. In June 2000, I was
appointed to serve as Director of the Wisconsin Center for the Blind and
Visually Impaired (a state agency that has responsibility for providing a
number of statewide services for children and adults in Wisconsin including
operating a residential school). In that position I worked on the
accreditations the agency was required to have as a K-12 school operating
in the state. In 2002 I learned about the NAC Summit meeting that was
planned for Florida in December. As a member of the Council of Schools for
the Blind [COSB], I provided my concerns about the failed NAC accreditation
program to the individual who would be representing NAC at the summit. As a
member of the National Federation of the Blind, I wanted to be with
Federation members protesting the meeting itself, but my schedule would not
allow me to be away at the time of the meeting in Florida. Therefore, I
settled for urging COSB to encourage NAC to close its doors and go out of
business-an opinion that was shared at the summit meeting by others as you
will find in the February 2003 issue of the Braille Monitor. NAC was never
a topic of discussion at any of the conferences I attended related to the
education of blind children, so I rarely gave it much thought.
      In November of 2003 I moved to Maryland to work for the National
Federation of the Blind. In 2004 Lou Tutt left the presidency of the
Maryland School for the Blind, and I was surprised to learn that the school
was accredited by NAC. When a new president was appointed to lead the
Maryland School for the Blind (a woman I knew from my time participating in
the Council of Schools for the Blind), I approached her about dropping NAC
accreditation. I thought I might be able to convince her that the students
at the school were not better off because of the NAC accreditation. She
decided that the matter required more study even though the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland urged her to drop the useless
accreditation. Eventually the Board of Trustees for the Maryland School for
the Blind dropped the accreditation and found a new president to administer
the programs of the Maryland school. Since that time the Federation and the
Maryland School for the Blind have found opportunities to work
collaboratively on a number of projects, including a Braille conference in
October 2017. NAC was not providing Maryland with any value, and
eliminating it saved the school dollars that could be put into programming
and improved its ability to partner with blind consumers. Based on my
experience, I have always believed that NAC would eventually close its
doors when the small number of agencies still paying NAC for the privilege
of doing a self-assessment of their services got tired of receiving no
value for their dollars.
      In September a Federation leader forwarded the announcement below from