[NFB-NM] FW: Events for the Diversity and Inclusion Committee at National Convention

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 01:39:19 UTC 2020

Diversity and Inclusion Session list

*All times are listed in Eastern Daylight Time. The events appear in order
as presented in the National Convention agenda.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

12:30 - 1:30 PM-BLIND AND MENA: ANOTHER KIND OF BROWN
.	Zoom meeting ID: 961 9383 5893
.	Members who are American Arab, North African, Middle Eastern,
Muslim, and Sikh face unique challenges in post-9/11 America, especially
around blindness and access to services. Join us to learn about identity,
stereotypes, and challenges experienced by these communities.

1:30 - 3:00 PM-MUJERES OF THE FEDERATION
.	Zoom meeting ID: 954 3551 4513
.	This bilingual celebration of blind Latina excellence features
Conchita Hernandez Legorreta, activist, scholar, and leader. Conchita will
deliver a dynamic address providing inspiration, mentorship, and strategies
for success to the next generation of blind Latina trailblazers.
.	Shalma Arroyo-Mercado and Rosy Carranza, Facilitators

3:00 - 5:00 PM-TRANSFORMING LIVES FOR TRANSGENDER PEOPLE
.	Zoom meeting ID: 916 9465 3031
.	Discuss shared experiences with accessing mental and medical health
services.
.	Learn useful practices for interacting with health care
professionals, managing medications, and navigating misidentifications and
daily social interactions.
.	Sponsored by the Diversity and Inclusion Committee and the NFB LGBT
group.
.	Kaden Colton and Susan Reimers, Facilitators

6:00 - 8:00 PM-BLACK LEADERS ADVANCING THE FEDERATION
.	Zoom meeting ID: 996 4295 8980
.	Celebrate the numerous contributions of black Federation leaders.
Let's inspire youth through personal empowerment, leadership development,
and mentorship. All are welcome to attend.
.	Shawn Callaway, Facilitator

8:30 - 10:00 PM-CULTIVATING ASIAN/PACIFIC ISLANDER IDENTITIES
.	Zoom meeting ID: 961 1872 9488
.	Connect with other blind Asian members to discuss cultural practices
and to share strategies for approaching vision loss. Provide your insight on
delivering culturally relevant outreach, including producing materials,
messaging techniques, and identifying needed resources.
.	Colin Wong, Deepa Goraya, and Sachin Pavithran, Facilitator

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

11:30 AM - 1:30 PM-WE'RE BLIND, BUT NOT COLOR-BLIND
.	Zoom meeting ID: 978 6566 3417
.	Do you want to be an ally for racial justice within the Federation
and beyond? Do you feel proclaiming color-blindness isn't enough? Using
perspectives from sociology, this session will help participants understand
how racism operates beyond the level of individual prejudices.
.	Angela Frederick, PhD, Facilitator

Thursday, July 16, 2020

10:30 AM - 12:30 PM-DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION COMMITTEE MEETING
.	Zoom meeting ID: 938 3905 3136
.	Attend our annual meeting to hear about our activities and to learn
how you can become involved with our committee. Let's learn from each other
to grow our understanding and to increase our impact around diversity,
equity, and inclusion.

Best wishes,