[NFB-NM] Que Pasa, May 2022

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Mon May 2 03:18:24 UTC 2022

QUE PASA
May 2022

Newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico, published
on www.nfbnm.org, on New Mexico Newsline, and on NFB Newsline.

Adelmo Vigil
President, NFB of New Mexico
E-mail: nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com
(575) 921-5422

Tonia Trapp, Editor
E-mail: nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
(505) 856-5346

ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS

To submit an article or recipe for possible inclusion in this newsletter,
please email it to nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com. By submitting your
article or other material, you are agreeing to the following:

*You assert that your article does not violate any confidentiality,
copyright, or other laws, and that it is not intended to slander, defame, or
mislead.

*The NFB of New Mexico (NFBNM) has the discretion to publish and distribute
the article either in whole or in part.

*NFBNM is authorized to edit the article for formatting, length and content.

*NFBNM reserves the right to not publish submissions for any reason.

Contents
PREAMBLE. 2
SAVE THE DATE. 2
FAR MORE THAN BLIND: SAM CHAVEZ’S LIFE, 1904-1981. 3
NAVAJO TIMES ON NEWSLINE FOR THE BLIND. 12
CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN.. 13
GOOD EATING. 15
EASY HOMEMADE LOAF BREAD WITH REGULAR FLOUR. 15
PECAN PIE BARS. 17
MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS. 19

PREAMBLE

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is a 501(c)(3)
consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our own personal experience
that with training and opportunity, it can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive services and
training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children
receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to
be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means
that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to
see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States,
enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most
serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about
blindness. Join us in educating New Mexicans about the abilities and
aspirations of New Mexico’s blind citizens.

(Adapted from NFB of Ohio newsletter.)

SAVE THE DATE

Make plans to attend the 2022 National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico
State Convention.

August 25-28, 2022
Embassy Suites Albuquerque

More information will follow through our NFBNM listserv.

If you would like to be added to listserv,
please email Tonia Trapp at
nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com

The planning team is working hard at having a safe, informative, and fun
event.
As we begin to emerge from the Pandemic we must work together to continue to
build our federation!!!

FAR MORE THAN BLIND: SAM CHAVEZ’S LIFE, 1904-1981

By Richard Melzer

(Reprinted with the author’s permission, this article originally appeared in
LA HISTORIA DEL RIO ABAJO.)

La Historia del Rio Abajo is a regular column about Valencia County history
written by members of the Valencia County Historical Society since 1998.

Special thanks to Greg Trapp, executive director of the New Mexico
Commission for the Blind, for his expert, kind assistance in the writing of
this column.
Opinions expressed in this and all columns of La Historia del Rio Abajo are
the author’s alone and not necessarily those of the Valencia County
Historical Society or any other group or individual.

It snows a lot on the east slopes of the Manzano Mountains. But, as anyone
who has lived in the small villages of Manzano, Tajique, Chilili and Torreon
can tell you, there are snowstorms and there are snowstorms.

This story is about a particularly bad snowstorm and how the driver of a
Greyhound bus and his passengers were rescued by a brave 42-year-old
passenger named Sam Chavez. What makes the story truly remarkable is that
Sam Chavez had been blind since birth.

The Storm

Samuel Chavez had been born on June 3, 1904, the second son of Eulalio and
Clarita Chavez. When old enough, Sam attended the New Mexico School for the
Blind in Alamogordo. By World War II, he had become quite independent,
especially after he acquired a German Shepard guide dog named Silver.

In a typical act of independence, Sam and Silver had traveled to Albuquerque
and had boarded a Greyhound bus to return to his family’s home in Manzano on
Feb. 9, 1946. Storm clouds gathered as the Greyhound traveled east through
Tijeras Canyon. Luckily, the bus with Sam, Silver and nine other passengers
aboard made it through the canyon, turning south at the village of Tijeras,
before the storm reached blizzard proportions.

In the heaviest snowfall of that winter, traffic soon came to a virtual
standstill east, west and north of Albuquerque. Eventually, as many as 70
vehicles needed help on old Route 66 through Tijeras Canyon.

But things got worse for Sam, Silver and their fellow passengers as their
bus continued south. About seven miles south of Tijeras, at a place called
Cedro Canyon, their bus got stuck in the snow. Despite considerable effort
by its driver, the bus could not be moved.

The situation grew worse as time passed and the temperature dropped. The bus
driver kept the heater going but his ten passengers knew that they might all
freeze to death if the vehicle ran out of gas and the heater shut down.
Something had to be done, and quickly.

To the Rescue

It was at this point that Sam offered what sounded like a foolhardy
solution: he volunteered to go get help.

But how could a blind man make it through whiteout conditions with night
quickly approaching? The answer was simple. Sam was already blind so that
neither blowing snow nor the darkness of night were obstacles to him. He
knew the route from his frequent trips down this same road as a passenger in
cars and buses over the years. And Sam had Silver, his faithful guide dog
that could be relied on to help Sam deal with almost every difficulty, from
strong winds to three-foot snow drifts.

Sam, Silver and a passenger named Antonio Padilla plowed through the snow
until they reached a ranch house about five miles from the stranded bus.
After summoning aid, Sam, Silver and Padilla headed back to the bus. They
made steady progress until Padilla collapsed from exhaustion, unable to take
another step. Although only 5’6” and 155 lbs., Sam carried Padilla the rest
of the way to the stranded bus.

A wrecker from Albuquerque arrived about half an hour after Sam, Silver and
Padilla’s return. The passengers and their driver were safe after ten hours
of dread and anxiety.

News of Sam’s heroic act spread far and wide. Sam in fact received an award
from the American Humane Society on Sept. 16, 1946. With Silver at his side,
Sam’s neighbors cheered him at a ceremony held during the annual fiesta in
Manzano. The story followed Sam through the years, including in 1957 when he
visited the New Mexico House of Representatives. Rep. Fred Ortiz (D, Rio
Arriba) introduced Sam, describing his heroic rescue in considerable detail.
Sam would always be known as the blind man who, with his guide dog Silver,
rescued a bus and its passengers, despite the incredible odds against them
in a formidable storm.

A Blessed Award

New Mexico celebrated the courage of another resourceful blind person in
1946. Like Sam Chavez, Cecelia “Celia” Lovato had been blind from birth and
had attended the New Mexico School for the Blind. Celia’s teachers chose her
prize-winning essay, “Failure is Impossible,” to be read at her graduation
ceremonies in May 1946. She soon landed a job as a secretary at the Barelas
Community Center in Albuquerque.

Celia had three goals following graduation. First, she wanted to purchase a
guide dog with the money she earned at the community center. Second, she
hoped to raise enough money to take her new dog to be trained at the
Seeing-Eye Institute in Morristown, New Jersey. Finally, with a guide dog at
her side, Celia planned to earn a college degree in education so she could
teach.

Newspapers reported that the 22-year-old’s admirable ambitions “captured the
imagination” of Albuquerque residents, especially when the odds of achieving
her goals seemed remote. Celia kept hearing from the guide dog school that
she would have to wait because the school was swamped with applications from
veterans of World War II who, having lost their vision in combat, had a
higher priority in obtaining dogs and getting them trained. Even if she made
it to the top of the waiting list, she would need hundreds of dollars for
the trip to New Jersey and to pay the institute’s tuition.

But Celia was determined to succeed with a degree of courage that equaled
Sam’s determination to rescue passengers on a stranded bus. With help from
organizations like LULAC and the Alianza Hispano-Americana, she began what
we might call a “go-fund-me” campaign. Starting in September 1946,
contributions arrived from many groups and individuals. Employees at the Rio
Grande Welding Co. pooled their resources and contributed $12. Children at
the Santa Ana Pueblo day schools gave pennies, nickels and dimes equaling
$9. Teens at Washington Junior High School gave $43.68. Members of the
Albuquerque Women’s Club raised $100 at a benefit party. Carrie Tingley, New
Mexico’s flamboyant former First Lady, gave $10.

With contributions large and small, Celia’s trust fund grew to $700 by the
end of October, $808 by the end of the year and $900 (over $10,000 in
today’s money) by the end of January 1947. Local newspapers reported the
campaign’s steady progress from week to week.

We don’t know how, where or when Celia Lovato and Sam Chavez met. They may
well have admired what each had accomplished despite their visual
challenges. All we know is that the couple met, became engaged and were
rather quickly married on New Year’s Day, 1947. The ceremony took place at
Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church in Bernalillo. A reception followed at
Celia’s family home and at the Barelas Community Center that evening.
Friends, family and all those who donated to Celia’s campaign were invited
to attend.

Sam Chavez was thus doubly blessed with an award from the Animal Humane
Society in September 1946 and a new marriage with a bright young woman just
five months later.

Other Peaks

Sam led an active life in the coming years. At various times, he lived in
San Juan (Veguita), Manzano, Albuquerque, Chimayo and Las Nutrias. Many good
neighbors helped him through the years. In 1957, for example, Reuben
Sandoval of Chimayo organized a committee to help Sam remodel his home soon
after Sam moved into the village. Later, Rose Barncastle, a friend in
Albuquerque, gave him rides to places he needed to go to in the city and as
far away as Santa Fe.

Sam worked as a piano tuner, a weaver, a chair caner and a farmer. He also
worked as an interpreter for the courts and at political meetings and
rallies. An ardent Democrat, he is said to have translated speeches with
more enthusiasm and eloquence than the politicians themselves.

Sam served as a campaign aide and ran for the office of state
representative, although he lost in a primary election in 1958. He was
chosen as a delegate to the state Democratic convention held in Albuquerque
in 1964.

Sam also became active in the New Mexico affiliate of the National
Federation of the Blind. He attended state conventions held in Albuquerque,
Santa Fe and Glorieta. He was elected the organization’s vice president in
1959 and was one of New Mexico’s three delegates at the annual convention of
the National Federation of the Blind held in Miami, Florida. He visited the
French Quarters in New Orleans, Louisiana, en route to Miami that year,
1960.

According to the Rio Grande Sun, Sam was a talented man who enjoyed
“composing memorials and Spanish songs.”

Four Valleys

But Sam faced deep valleys as well. He and Celia were married only five
months before she filed for divorce, claiming incompatibility, perhaps due
to the vast difference in their ages. By 1956 he had married another blind
woman, Maria Amadea Vigil, of Chimayo. Maria also filed for divorce, once in
1971 and again, after an apparent reconciliation, in 1975.

Other challenges were sadly typical for visually impaired men and women in
mid-twentieth century America. Four examples come to mind.

First, in 1947, when Sam had called for a cab in Albuquerque, the driver did
not allow Sam to bring Silver into his vehicle. When Sam objected, the
driver reportedly handled Sam roughly. Seeking $5,000 in compensation, Sam
filed a civil suit against the Black and White Cab Co. Sam won the case in
district court, but was awarded just one dollar in damages. The case made
the news as far away as San Antonio, Texas.

In 1948, Sam and Silver were walking on South Fourth St. when they were hit
by a motorist backing out of a driveway. The car knocked Sam down, only
bruising him, but injuring Silver quite seriously. Realizing that Sam was
blind, the motorist refused to disclose his name and license number.
Fortunately, a passerby jotted down the license number so the police could
track the driver down in what amounted to a hit-and-run accident.
Descriptions of Sam’s encounter ran in newspapers not only in New Mexico,
but also in Arizona, Oregon and Utah.

We do not know if Silver’s injuries led to his death, but by 1952 Sam had
acquired a new dog, named Sylvia. We first learn of Sylvia because in 1954
Sam reported her missing from his backyard at 430 Pacific SW in Albuquerque.
Although he recalled tying her securely, she had somehow strayed from the
property or been stolen.

We know that Sylvia had returned home by early 1955 because by that date one
of Sam’s neighbors in Barelas had reported him to the police, accusing him
of cruelty to animals. Sam was accused of beating, kicking and strangling
his guide dog. The authorities took Sylvia to an animal shelter, while Sam
was arrested but not detained. The case was soon dismissed in police court.
Sam sued the neighbor, the arresting officer and the City of Albuquerque.
The outcome of the suit is unknown.

A year later, in a fourth incident, someone shot Sylvia in the leg. Injuries
to her paw were sufficiently severe that she remained in an Albuquerque
animal hospital for at least a week.

Sam and Sylvia remained familiar sights on the streets of Albuquerque and
Española when they lived in or near those cities. The man and his dog were
inseparable for fourteen years, or until Sylvia became ill and died in May
1966.

Sam’s next guide dog was sent from Pilot Guides, Inc., of Columbus, Ohio.
Canya, a 26-month-old German Shepard, arrived soon after Sylvia’s death. A
1966 photo of Sam and Canya in the Santa Fe New Mexican showed the pair as
Sam became one of the first patrons of the New Mexico state library’s
services for the blind.

Suggested Epitaph

Being refused access to public transportation, being struck by a hit-and-run
driver and being the victim of possible theft and the intentional shooting
of his guide dog: these were the unjust indignities that Sam and many other
visually impaired Americans often suffered in their lives. Sam fought for
his rights in court, in the press and through the National Federation of the
Blind of New Mexico.

Sam died at his home in Albuquerque on December 2, 1981. With the Romero
Funeral Home of Belen in charge of arrangements, Sam was buried at the San
Ysidro Catholic cemetery in Las Nutrias.

Sam’s gravestone has no epitaph, just his name and the dates of his birth
and death. If an epitaph were added, some might suggest that it should refer
to Sam’s blindness. But such an epitaph would be insufficient because Sam
was much more than his visual impairment. Given all that he had done in his
77 years, his epitaph might better read:
Samuel Chavez
June 3, 1904, to December 2, 1981
New Mexico Hero

NAVAJO TIMES ON NEWSLINE FOR THE BLIND

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: March 18, 2022
CONTACT: Greg Trapp, Executive Director, New Mexico Commission for the Blind
PHONE: 505-730-4585 EMAIL: greg.trapp at state.nm.us

NAVAJO TIMES ON NEWSLINE FOR THE BLIND

The New Mexico Commission for the Blind is now providing the Navajo Times to
persons who are blind or visually impaired through Newsline for the Blind.
Newsline for the Blind is a free telephone-based service that enables
persons with disabilities who qualify for National Library Services (NLS) to
read newspapers and magazines 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Navajo
Times has covered the news, events and happenings in the Four Corners area
since the 1960’s.

The Commission for the Blind also sponsors NFB-NEWSLINE®, which is a service
of the National Federation of the Blind. NFB-NEWSLINE® uses text-to-speech
technology to provide interactive telephone access to over 500 publications,
including now The Navajo Times.

“I am very proud that we have been able to bring this about,” said Greg
Trapp, Executive Director of the New Mexico Commission for the Blind.
“Through our efforts here in New Mexico, we are bringing this important
publication to the Four Corners area, and indeed the entire nation,” added
Trapp.

“We appreciate the partnership between the New Mexico Commission for the
Blind and the Department of Diné Education, to provide these technology
options for our Navajo people. This is an important step in the right
direction to be more inclusive and engaged with all of our people and
communities. Thank you to Mr. Trapp and his team for working together with
the Navajo Nation,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez.

“We record each issue of the Navajo Times so that Newsline users in New
Mexico can read the paper,” said Krista Mireles, Newsline Coordinator.

Anyone who is visually impaired or qualifies for NLS services can apply for
Newsline or get more information by calling Krista Mireles at 505-841-8844.

Public Law 115-141 Notice: The Commission receives federal funds from the
U.S. Department of Education and from the Health and Human Services
Department. For Federal Fiscal Year 2022, the Commission will receive
approximately $5,134,772 for Vocational Rehabilitation with a $1,389,716
state match; $55,500 for Supported Employment with a $3,083 state match;
$225,000 for Older Blind with a $25,000 state match; and $60,969 for
Independent Living with a $6,774 State match.

CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN

By Nancy Burns

The large cruise ship on which we had traveled docked in San Diego on
December 7, 2019 and was our fifteenth incredible voyage. This trip had
taken us through the Panama Canal and then into Costa Rica. It was our
second such itinerary, but each trip was a new and different adventure.
After disembarking in San Diego, Don and I spent an early Christmas with
family members in California. Soon after returning home to Albuquerque, the
Covid pandemic struck and most travel plans were suspended. We found
ourselves glued to the news. Thousands of deaths worldwide had created this
horrific pandemic. Previously unknown restrictions were placed on our
ability to move about, even locally. Masks were mandated and numerous
businesses were closed as a result.

All of these restrictions necessitated the need to find alternative
activities, in or near our home. I found myself occupied with working on a
book which described and reflected back on our fifteen magical cruises.
While writing those pages, I had two important issues on which I intended to
elaborate. It has always been my desire to educate the public about the
abilities of those of us who happen to be blind and to eradicate stereotypes
and false assumptions. My thinking is that by publishing this book, I might
educate at least some of the general public about the fact that a blind
couple is perfectly capable of traveling and exploring distant lands. My
secondary hope is to encourage other blind or visually impaired people to
travel abroad.

In late 2021, Covid cases began to decline and some travel restrictions were
lifted. We had lamented the fact that we might never be able to travel
again. At times, our itinerary was secured through a travel agent, but not
always. After receiving notification from this agent regarding a Caribbean
cruise, we began looking forward to traveling once again. This was a
seven-day cruise and was to take place in early December, 2021. We booked
this cruise, and we were again looking forward to sailing the ocean.
Documentation of vaccination was required, and masks were mandatory on the
ship. We were fine with all of these requirements.

After departing Fort Lauderdale, we were sailing toward Half Moon Key. This
is an incredible island which is actually owned by Holland America, our
favorite cruise line. There were opportunities to dine on barbecue, among
other choices, while strolling on this island. We gravitated toward the
sound of island music, and found ourselves in an area selling all sorts of
souvenirs such as handmade hats and purses, sea shells in bottles, along
with the ever-present T shirts.

A significant part of such a journey is, actually, the days at sea. These
days are made even more enjoyable by spending time on the balcony, when
affordable. Because of our many cruises, we were upgraded to a larger cabin
and even to a larger balcony. This particular balcony included a table, two
chairs and hassocks. One morning, we ordered breakfast to be delivered to
our room. While relaxing on the balcony, this meal was thoroughly enjoyed.
Listening to the sounds of the ocean waves and experiencing the smells of
the sea air just put this breakfast over the top.

The next port, Bimini, Bahamas provided us with a nice long walk along the
ocean side. This port is especially desirable for ocean swimmers and scuba
divers. It provided us with the sounds and smells of the fresh ocean air as
we walked along the ocean with other fellow tourists.

The food on such a cruise ship is phenomenal. A wide selection of main
courses is available. The dessert menu frequently catches my attention.
Chocolate cake with rum filling, tiramisu, and fruit crisps, with various
sorts of ice cream toppings, were only a few of the offerings.

A variety of shipboard activities are available during the cruise. The
Christmas theme was evident throughout the ship, including Christmas carols
that could be heard in the background. On the main deck a huge display of
gingerbread houses, churches, and other such buildings was displayed. The
wait staff in dining rooms and bar areas is always helpful and quickly
learns and remembers names. We find this amazing, but it has been the norm
on each and every cruise we have taken.

Amber Cove, Dominican Republic was our next port and provided a huge display
of rum in the shops. There was everything from large bottles of rum, down to
smaller samples of differing rum flavors. This area is one of the largest
producers of rum in the world.

Disembarking from the ship into Freeport, Bahamas, Don and I once again
found the weather to be Caribbean warm and wonderful. Vendors of everything
imaginable dotted the walkway. This port provided another opportunity to
select unique Christmas gifts to bring home. Handcrafted items were
displayed along the walkway. Vendors were happy to answer questions and
allowed us to touch their merchandise. This allowed us the opportunity to
communicate with local vendors and to get a glimpse of the local culture, an
important bi-product of such voyages. As we attempt to educate the locals,
we in turn take away knowledge of the area we are exploring.

I routinely carry my Victor Reader and take daily notes of the land
explored. As a writer, this helps with any writing I desire to complete. Don
and I have sailed thousands of nautical miles, have explored many countries,
and have met many fascinating people along the way. Our home is filled with
a collection of souvenirs, such as a pair of wooden shoes from Holland, and
a variety of key chains from nearly all over the world. Each of our
collectables brings back memories of our unusual and exciting travel
adventures.

GOOD EATING

EASY HOMEMADE LOAF BREAD WITH REGULAR FLOUR

This recipe makes 3 loafs of bread.

1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup oil of your choice
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons yeast, hast to be active dry
9-10 cups regular flour, not the self-rising kind
Spray butter, or a stick of room temperature butter/margarine, your
preference
4 cups warm water
A dash of sugar

Put 4 cups of warm water in a big mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of active
yeast. Add a dash of sugar and whisk/mix together. Put the mixture on a
surface that won't get cold, because yeast needs to stay warm. Or just leave
the bowl on your stovetop covered for 10 minutes. You can cover with a
plate. After 10 minutes, the yeast will be bubbling.

To the yeast mixture, add the salt, oil, and honey. If you add the honey
after the oil, it won't stick to your cup, for easy clean up.

Add 5 cups of flour and mix until all the flour is wet. Then add the next 5
cups of flour one by one, mixing after each, until the dough stops sticking
to the sides of the bowl. Sometimes you will only need to use a total of 8
or 9 cups of flour rather than 9 or 10, so that is why you incorporate one
cup at a time after the first 5 cups. The dough needs to be sticky, but not
enough to stick to you or to the bowl.

Sprinkle some flour on your work area, and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
Spray another big mixing bowl with butter spray or soft butter. Make your
dough into a big ball and put it in the buttered mixing bowl. Put some
butter spray on top of the dough. Cover the bowl and leave it for 45
minutes. The dough will double its size; that's why a big mixing bowl is
necessary.

Next, punch, press, and squish down the dough in the bowl to take out the
air bubbles. This is a good workout and stress reliever.

Sprinkle some flour on your work space again and put the dough onto the
floured surface. Knead it for 10 minutes to take out as many of the air
bubbles as you can. The dough will pop, so don’t get scared: it needs to pop
so that your bread won’t have holes in it. No one wants a sandwich that has
a big hole in it so your contents fall out while you’re eating it.
Therefore, beat the dough as much as you can.

When you are done kneading, separate the dough into 3 equal parts.
Spray/coat the bottoms and sides of your 3 loaf pans with butter spray or
whatever you are using for that purpose.
Now you are going to make a dough roll that is the same length as the loaf
pan. Knead one part of the dough, adding flour if it is too sticky. It will
pop, and that is good. Now flatten the dough using a poking motion with all
your fingers until it is about the length of the pan. Then stretch the dough
out towards you until it is about 2 inches thick. When you are satisfied and
it seems to be the length of the pan, roll up the dough tightly and pinch
the seams together where the dough ends.

Pick up the dough and drop it hard on to your counter or work space 2 or 3
times. This is necessary to get rid of any big air bubbles. Place the dough
roll in the pan. If it is still too long, tuck in the ends and roll it
softly before placing it in the pan. Now do the same with the other 2 sets
of dough and pans.

After you have placed the dough in the pans, spray or add butter on top
(your preference) and don’t be stingy: lather it well. Place the pans on a
surface that is not too cold so the dough can rise again. It will double in
size. Cover the pans with a kitchen towel or anything you have that is
cloth, and let them rest for one hour.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After the hour passes, your
dough has risen, and you can pop the loaves into the oven for 30 minutes.
After you remove them from the oven, take them out of the pans, butter them
again, and enjoy. You can cut them up and store them in plastic or glass
containers, however you store your bread.

PECAN PIE BARS

FOR THE CRUST:
2 sticks butter
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

For crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter or spray the bottom and sides
of a 13x9-inch baking pan with baking spray. Line the pan with parchment
paper or foil, letting the excess extend over the edges of the pan.

Cube the butter and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter
smells nutty and the solids have turned brown, 6-8 minutes. Immediately pour
the butter into a medium bowl to stop the cooking. Whisk in the sugar and
salt. Add flour and stir until it is fully moistened. Press the crust evenly
into the bottom of the baking pan. (The crust will be moist. Press carefully
to reach all edges and corners of the pan).
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and lightly press down any large bubbles in the
crust.

FOR THE FILLING:
2 cups pecan halves
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

Turn oven up to 375°F. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and roast in oven
for 5 to 7 minutes. Once the dough and nuts have cooled slightly, arrange
the pecans in concentric circles to create three rings. You should have
enough nuts for two complete layers.
In a medium heat-proof bowl, melt butter (for filling) in the microwave.
Stir in brown sugar, all three syrups, salt (for filling), and vanilla
extract. Break all 3 eggs into a small bowl; whisk to combine. Add to
butter-syrup mixture, whisking until fully combined. Slowly pour mixture
over arranged pecans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pie has puffed up
and pecans have browned. Remove from oven and let cool and deflate (this
will take about 2 hours). Enjoy!

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

July 5-10, 2022: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, LA

August 25-28, 2022: NFB of New Mexico State Convention, Albuquerque, NM

Best wishes,

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
www.nfbnm.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work