[NFB-NM] Join us for a Pitstop Party!

Tara Chavez nfbnm.president at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 01:56:57 UTC 2023

Greetings Federation family, Friends, and community:

PITSTOP PARTY!!!!!

Please spread the word far and wide!!!

Pit stop party for Dan on August 12 in Santa Fe NM, at Rudy's BBQ on
Cerrillos, starting at 11:00am.

Sponsored by the NFB of New Mexico At Large Chapter. Come join the fun and
show your support.

National Federation of the Blind. See below for the full story.

Route 66 Ride for Literacy: Connect with a Movement

A journey of strength, dedication, and connection

Dan O'Rourke is a man on a mission. As a veteran National Hockey League
(NHL) referee, he's

used to skating on thin ice, making tough calls, and taking a few hits along
the way. His latest

challenge, Route 66 Ride for Literacy, is a bit different. This summer, he's
hopping on a bicycle

and setting out on a cross-country journey to support a cause that's near
and dear to his heart.

In partnership with National Federation of the Blind, Dan will be biking
over 2,400-miles across

the country from Santa Monica California to Chicago, Illinois along the
famous Route 66, but it

means so much more.

Image: Dan Rourke and NFB President Mark Riccobono smile holding a
membership coin

A Blindness Story

"I faked my way through life and didn't think I needed Braille until I met
the National

Federation of the Blind."

A common attitude for some blind people and their families is that they feel
denying blindness

is a sign of strength and ultimately the best way to cope with blindness.
But Dan O'Rourke and

the National Federation of the Blind know that it is respectable to be
blind. Connect with us

for life changing experiences.

Family Connections

After growing up watching his blind father defeat all obstacles in his path,
Dan wants to give

back to the organization that further empowers blind people to live the
lives they want. The

National Federation of the Blind is a network of blind members (sometimes
known as our

Federation Family) building a community that creates a future full of
opportunities.

Image: Dan sits on floor smiling among NFB Camp kids at convention

Beyond parents, blind people are part of our families-children, siblings,
grandparents,

friends, and all areas of society's circles. Living the lives they want
starts with quality and

accessible education. This journey is to help connect with more families who
could benefit

from our positive philosophy on blindness and blindness skills.

Raise Expectations, Connections, & Education

Follow Dan's ride online, participate in a local membership building
activity, and contribute to

the National Federation of the Blind. Learn more at nfb.org/Route66
<http://nfb.org/Route66>

Image: A blue figure rides on a bicycle, NFB logo in the bike wheels

Tara Chavez, President

 <mailto:NFBNM.President at gmail.com> NFBNM.President at gmail.com

(505) 328-3349

Live the life you want.