[NFB-of-Delaware] FW: Let Me Be Blunt: Weekly Update from Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

cmkries at comcast.net cmkries at comcast.net
Mon Oct 21 13:44:55 UTC 2024

FYI…

From: Office of Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester <replisabluntrochester at mail8.housecommunications.gov>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2024 6:34 PM
To: Carol King-Ries <cmkries at comcast.net>
Subject: Let Me Be Blunt: Weekly Update from Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

Dear Friend,

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know that breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in American women? One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. This year in Delaware alone, it’s estimated that there will be more than 1,100 cases of breast cancer. But breast cancer doesn’t just impact women – men can be diagnosed with it, too. One in 726 men will be diagnosed breast cancer in their lifetime. That’s why, as a member of the Health Subcommittee in Congress, I’m sharing a fact or an insight about breast cancer each Monday throughout the month in my “Mammography Mondays” series on my social media pages. And, as with any type of cancer, early detection and treatment are key, so consider this your reminder to get screened!

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/2vjBHqHNoRBrN_m69_gMpg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QvaHR0cHM6Ly94LmNvbS9SZXBMQlIvc3RhdHVzLzE4NDMzNzQ3Mzc2MjU2NzAxMDFXA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~>

This Week in Delaware

Medicare Open Enrollment Begins!

Attention Delaware seniors: the Medicare Open Enrollment period began on October 15 and runs through December 7! Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) I championed last Congress, and with the leadership of President Biden and Vice President Harris, we are lowering health care and prescription drug costs for Medicare beneficiaries, including capping the cost of insulin at $35/month. As a result of this historic legislation, it’s estimated that 48,000 Medicare beneficiaries in Delaware will save a total of $12.3 million in out-of-pocket costs for their prescription medications this year. I’ll always be a champion in Congress for our seniors so they can get the medications and care they need. To change your plan or select a new plan, be sure to go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/aE1Zfh8J2ooGWZgp9XRnmw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QTaHR0cDovL21lZGljYXJlLmdvdlcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> medicare.gov before December 7.

This Week in Washington

Building a Menopause Movement!

This Friday marked World Menopause Day. Far too many women experience menopause with little to no guidance they need to navigate it. It’s a completely natural phase of women’s lives, and it’s critical to our health and wellness that we invest in enhanced menopause research. It’s why I’m proud to have introduced the bipartisan  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/4QrCcJa6dj1TL0BFViDvqg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NDA1OFcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> We’re Addressing the Realities of Menopause (WARM) Act last year. And it’s why I’m proud to have co-led a letter this week seeking answers from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services about what's needed to elevate existing federal programs and policies related to perimenopause and menopause, and what gaps need to be filled. Together we are building a #MenopauseMovement! You can read the letter by  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/z7KB3DesVDr4CbTyHJliaA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QXaHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL3p3bERIRDZpS0xXA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> clicking here.

In case you missed it,  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/UfoC7HiaxWy2EsVJbnBCsQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0ReaHR0cHM6Ly9iYXl0b2JheW5ld3MuY29tL3N0b3JpZXMvc3QtZ2Vvcmdlcy1icmlkZ2UtcmVvcGVuZWQtZm9yLWZpcnN0LXRpbWUtaW4tMTgtbW9udGhzLDE0NzQ2N1cDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> Delaware State News covered the reopening of the St. Georges Bridge last week. Alongside Senators Tom Carper and Chris Coons, I was proud to help secure federal funding to make critical improvements to the aging bridge. Our transportation infrastructure is key to our economy and our safety, and the repairs made to the bridge, thanks to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and contractors, will extend the bridge’s longevity and structural integrity. I am thankful to everyone involved in the project, which was completed on time, for their work to ensure that the St. Georges Bridge can continue to connect Delawareans for years to come. Read more about the repairs  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/UfoC7HiaxWy2EsVJbnBCsQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0ReaHR0cHM6Ly9iYXl0b2JheW5ld3MuY29tL3N0b3JpZXMvc3QtZ2Vvcmdlcy1icmlkZ2UtcmVvcGVuZWQtZm9yLWZpcnN0LXRpbWUtaW4tMTgtbW9udGhzLDE0NzQ2N1cDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> here.

Make Your Voice Heard

Election Day is just a few short weeks away. Voting is fundamental to a healthy democracy, so I encourage you to make a voting plan. You can go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/6mLmoK9vdvsveZyP6crDOA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QTaHR0cDovL2l2b3RlLmRlLmdvdlcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> ivote.de.gov for more information.

LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO: Congressional App Challenge Apps due October 24!

Delaware’s 2024 Congressional App Challenge is underway! This is a great opportunity for students interested in STEM to use their skills to solve the issues of today and tomorrow. Applications will be accepted now through October 24th. For more information, please go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/SeMN4Re-gNy0ypd_Ot1zdw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0RaaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29uc3RpdHVlbnQtc2VydmljZXMvMjAxNy1jb25ncmVzc2lvbmFsLWFwcC1jaGFsbGVuZ2UuaHRtVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> my website. You can also check out when I  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/CaoU_Mvxcd9jrkndxAPbXQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NDA4OVcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> visited last year’s winners at their school to see one of the innovative projects first-hand.

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/n67OUkGFrjRz2S-VbYpZWw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0Q2aHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29udGFjdC9zdWJzY3JpYmUuaHRtVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>

Below are some helpful resources for you:

*	Lower Energy Costs: Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act that I helped pass last Congress, there are opportunities to lower your energy costs through tax credits and rebates. Check out  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/5dMMZrWpTdn3GaEZeMXEJg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QbaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZW5lcmd5Lmdvdi9zYXZlVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> energy.gov/save to learn more.
*	Calculate Your Potential Savings: The Biden-Harris Administration’s actions are helping to lower costs and put more money back into the pockets of Americans across the country. You can calculate your potential savings at <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/Rz2ZCQ-x_d8jD9UFp3WAqA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QZaHR0cDovL2ludmVzdC5nb3YvU2F2aW5nc1cDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_>  Invest.gov/Savings.
*	Look Before You Book: Are you thinking about booking a trip? Before you do, you should ensure that your passport is up-to-date! You can go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/jZ7G-d5xaBaZ6bVDlT5Xsg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QZaHR0cHM6Ly90cmF2ZWwuc3RhdGUuZ292L1cDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> travel.state.gov to check your passport expiration date, apply for a new passport, and more.
*	Need a Passport Appointment?: The Department of State is encouraging travelers to go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/fB2lZ_Wy9VZsCt2z_rvG5g~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0TeaHR0cDovL2VuZ2FnZW1lbnQubWFpbDguaG91c2Vjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9ucy5nb3YvZi9hL2EzSVBWa1lBNkZ1QlF6UE9JNTRIbFF-fi9BQVMyeWdBfi9SZ1JvR1FsYlAwUXJhSFIwY0RvdkwzQmhjM053YjNKMFlYQndiMmx1ZEcxbGJuUXVkSEpoZG1Wc0xuTjBZWFJsTG1kdmRsY0RjM0JqUWdwbU0xdUVObWJaX3p4OVVobDJhV04wYjNKcFlYQmhibnBsY21GQVoyMWhhV3d1WTI5dFdBUUFBQU5fVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> passportappointment.travel.state.gov to schedule passport appointments within 14 days of their date of travel. You can utilize this resource until September!
*	Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): The State Department recently launched a new version of STEP. STEP is a free service for U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad to receive safety and security alerts and other local updates by email from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Enrolling in STEP also makes it easier to contact U.S. citizens during an emergency. You can sign up for these alerts at  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/LzUPhwHs7KC1-w3QCa2Pkg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QQaHR0cDovL2xvZ2luLmdvdlcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> login.gov.
*	988 National Suicide Prevention Helpline: If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call 988, the 24/7, free and confidential support National Suicide Prevention Hotline. You can also go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/OIC9YoWr_X6prjwYRGi0JQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QYaHR0cHM6Ly85ODhsaWZlbGluZS5vcmcvVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> 988lifeline.org.
*	Delaware 211: Delawareans in need of emergency housing, utility assistance, food assistance, and more, call 211, Delaware’s free, confidential resource hotline.
*	U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Programs: The State Department sponsors several programs across the world that can give Americans educational, cultural, and professional experiences. Find out more about at  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/DWeTibHVY2-QCHTTXBWWqw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QdaHR0cDovL2V4Y2hhbmdlcy5zdGF0ZS5nb3YvdXNXA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> exchanges.state.gov/us.
*	Protecting Your Data: Delaware’s Personal Data Privacy Act, legislation protecting the personal data of Delawareans, goes into effect on January 1, 2025. You can go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/FdXmJ9OXtlwiWbytoVlXMA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0RIaHR0cHM6Ly9hdHRvcm5leWdlbmVyYWwuZGVsYXdhcmUuZ292L2ZyYXVkL3BlcnNvbmFsLWRhdGEtcHJpdmFjeS1wb3J0YWwvVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> this website from the Delaware Department of Justice to find out how it will impact consumers, parents, and businesses in our state.
*	NEW! Free COVID Tests: Thanks to the Biden-Harris Administration, every household in the United States can get four free COVID tests that will be shipped to you through the United States Postal Service. You can order your tests today at  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/vOJjEM0TAc-vSKZtAC3sNg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QWaHR0cHM6Ly9jb3ZpZHRlc3RzLmdvdlcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> covidtests.gov.

This week’s constituent corner celebrates Shelby Borst, the 2025 Delaware Teacher of the Year! Shelby was the nominee from the Colonial School District and teaches social studies at William Penn High School. Shelby has been dedicated not only to growing the number of Advanced Placement classes being offered but also to ensuring that a diverse group of students can access those classes. Congratulations, Shelby, on this well-deserved honor! Like all incredible teachers across our state and nation, thank you for dedicating your time and talents to educating the leaders of tomorrow. I know you will continue to make our state proud, both inside and outside the classroom!

Photo: Colonial School District

As always, if you ever need assistance with federal agencies,  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/2zd3rsO7awfUqQ6YPIXbIw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0T6aHR0cDovL2VuZ2FnZW1lbnQubWFpbDguaG91c2Vjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9ucy5nb3YvZi9hLzlWb01ESVZieXlrY2tMUFNPc2tRUVF-fi9BQVMyeWdBfi9SZ1JtOFpWVVAwUS1hSFIwY0hNNkx5OWliSFZ1ZEhKdlkyaGxjM1JsY2k1b2IzVnpaUzVuYjNZdlkyOXVkR0ZqZEM5dlptWnBZMlZwYm1admNtMWhkR2x2Ymk1b2RHMVhBM053WTBJS1pQcFVFQTlsU2F4RnZsSVpkbWxqZEc5eWFXRndZVzU2WlhKaFFHZHRZV2xzTG1OdmJWZ0VBQUFEZnd-flcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> please contact my office. My team can help with a wide range of issues including (but not limited to):

*	United States Postal Service
*	Social Security Administration
*	Veterans Affairs benefits and services
*	Passport and visa processing
*	Citizenship and naturalization

Yours in service,

Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

Member of Congress

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/9LhxHZY2HCVVVOyTUxyBCw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QgaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tL1JlcExCUi9XA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/S7JaaqSpCPg3-MCNwYEM7Q~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QaaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9SZXBMQlJXA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/222ku5RBGY6aNeH-5eTD7A~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QhaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9SZXBMQlIvVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/7x2ohDDRo2jYkrLMiENGFQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QfaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vQFJlcExCUlcDc3BjQgpnEr0zFGfj2Q4lUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/n9Xmf3jx7Z-uFbJH4ZHKKw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0QpaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29udGFjdC9XA3NwY0IKZxK9MxRn49kOJVITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> Contact Me

Washington, DC Office

1724 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4165

Wilmington District Office

1105 N. Market Street

Suite 400

Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 830-2330

Georgetown District Office

28 The Circle

Suite 2

Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 858-4773

Unsubscribe from future messages. <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/Iejyv96p1PoDlsKooqXLAw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo9ri9P0T_aHR0cHM6Ly9tYWlsLmdvdm1haWx1bnN1YnNjcmliZS5jb20vbWFpbGVycy9zdWJzY3JpcHRpb25zP2p3dD1leUpoYkdjaU9pSklVekkxTmlJc0luUjVjQ0k2SWtwWFZDSjkuZXlKNmFXUWlPaUl5TXpnME5ETTVNVFkxTmpBNE55SXNJbWxrSWpvaU9UWXhNVFFpTENKemRXSWlPaUp5WlhCc2FYTmhZbXgxYm5SeWIyTm9aWE4wWlhJaUxDSnBZWFFpT2pFM01qa3pOemN5TVROOS40WEtjYzR2NTg1MzBZNld3RHZFWmtrOGJ6RmN3bFJLa2dldjBBUXFKcXlBVwNzcGNCCmcSvTMUZ-PZDiVSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>