[NFB-of-Delaware] FW: Let Me Be Blunt: Weekly Update from Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

cmkries at comcast.net cmkries at comcast.net
Sun Sep 22 19:15:13 UTC 2024

FYI…

From: Office of Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester <replisabluntrochester at mail8.housecommunications.gov>
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2024 6:14 PM
To: Carol King-Ries <cmkries at comcast.net>
Subject: Let Me Be Blunt: Weekly Update from Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

Dear Friend,

This week, I introduced a bipartisan and bicameral bill called the  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/utwEI1Q2gUnNsLfXiu4bVw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NTI2N1cDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> Consumer Literacy and Empowerment to Advance Responsible Navigation of Artificial Intelligence (Consumers LEARN AI) Act! This legislation will increase consumer awareness and confidence when using AI products and services.

As AI becomes more prevalent in our everyday lives, it is critical that people feel prepared to use it. The Consumers LEARN AI Act will help equip consumers, including small business owners, with the knowledge and confidence they need to use this technology when it can be helpful and avoid it when it could be harmful. As Delaware’s former Secretary of Labor and the founder and co-chair of the bipartisan Future of Work Caucus in Congress, I’m proud to champion this important legislation to prepare Americans to use AI, support our small businesses, and grow our economy. You can learn more about the bill  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/utwEI1Q2gUnNsLfXiu4bVw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NTI2N1cDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> here.

Above: Rep. Blunt Rochester signs the Consumers LEARN AI Act.

More exciting news out of Washington this week – my bipartisan bill, the  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/eW2XiLJECX7m-T5Xr5seNQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NTI2NFcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> Telehealth Modernization Act, passed  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/Q_JFDlWd8I8l4O9upTxUxg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QvaHR0cHM6Ly94LmNvbS9SZXBMQlIvc3RhdHVzLzE4MzY1Mjk0ODA3OTU2NjQzOThXA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> unanimously out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee! This legislation would extend telehealth flexibilities to federally qualified health centers and rural health clinics while lowering prescription drug costs through pharmacy benefit manager reform.

One of the few positive outcomes of the COVID-19 pandemic was the rapid progress we made in utilizing telehealth services to meet patients where they are. With the passage of this bill out of committee, we are one step closer to ensuring that anyone who needs these services – especially our seniors, people with disabilities, and those living in rural areas – can access the care they need when it’s most convenient for them. If you’d like to learn more about the legislation, click  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/pOzPxQIdqdwO4zt-EjgszQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NTI2M1cDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> here. You can also watch my remarks on the bill in committee by clicking below:

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/7FODBr9Q_B5FRkSpHu6vgQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QraHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1iYzFHa2tITEc3WVcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_>

This week, the House voted down Speaker Mike Johnson’s government funding package in a bipartisan manner. We cannot continue delaying the essential work of the House or cause undue alarm for federal agencies providing critical services.

The only way to prevent the government from shutting down on October 1 is through commonsense and bipartisanship. We must pass a clean, short-term continuing resolution to prevent a devastating government shutdown and put us on a path toward a real government funding agreement.

Turning Tragedy into Action

Many of us were appalled by the  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/jxGZlUvh81Paq6hD2Cl1Lw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RLaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucHJvcHVibGljYS5vcmcvYXJ0aWNsZS9nZW9yZ2lhLWFib3J0aW9uLWJhbi1hbWJlci10aHVybWFuLWRlYXRoVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> report by ProPublica this week, that brought to light the tragic death of Amber Nicole Thurman. At 28 years old, Amber was denied emergency reproductive care because of Georgia’s new abortion ban. Amber’s death was preventable and underscores the dire consequences of abortion bans. No doctor should delay providing care because they are afraid of being prosecuted, and no one should die from not being able to get the reproductive care they need.

Senate Republicans then blocked the Right to IVF Act, which would guarantee access to IVF nationwide. Unfortunately, they have continued to prove to the American people that  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/XK3qfLocX5xDowb425QpeA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QvaHR0cHM6Ly94LmNvbS9SZXBMQlIvc3RhdHVzLzE4MzYxNTk5MDQ3NDgzMzkyNjlXA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> they will not stand up and protect access to IVF. I am committed to ensuring that all Americans have access to the reproductive care they need – including abortion care – as well as maintaining the freedom for women to make their own decisions on when and how to grow their families.

This Week in Delaware

Celebrating the 103rd Birthday of Retired 1st Lieutenant Ray Firmani

This week, we celebrated Retired 1st Lieutenant Ray Firmani, who turned 103 years old on Thursday. Lt. Firmani is a veteran of World War II and is one of the oldest living veterans in Delaware. To celebrate this wonderful milestone, my senior caseworker, Krista Weed, was able to present a flag flown over the U.S. Capitol at his birthday celebration. Lt. Firmani – I know I speak for so many when I say thank you for your service, and happy 103rd birthday!

Above: Krista Weed, senior caseworker, with Retired 1st Lieutenant Ray Firmani.

LESS THAN ONE WEEK OUT: Mobile Office Hours in Dover

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/bedVwmOZlrf6s0Ubsem6IA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0STaHR0cHM6Ly9mb3Jtcy5vZmZpY2UuY29tL3BhZ2VzL3Jlc3BvbnNlcGFnZS5hc3B4P2lkPW1ZSVRrdEFpU1UyTk1IRncxWWx0bU12dGlQazNjeWRBZ0lfS2tkN0NxWXBVUkZBeVIxQkxNRlpSU1ZWQk5rMU1SRk5FU0UxSk5EZE9UQzR1JnJvdXRlPXNob3J0dXJsVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>

My office will be hosting mobile office hours at the Kent County Public Library on Friday, September 27th. Members of the casework team will be available to assist Delawareans who need help with federal agencies including passport and visa processing, securing your Social Security benefits, getting your tax refund from the IRS, and more. For more information and to RSVP, <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/bedVwmOZlrf6s0Ubsem6IA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0STaHR0cHM6Ly9mb3Jtcy5vZmZpY2UuY29tL3BhZ2VzL3Jlc3BvbnNlcGFnZS5hc3B4P2lkPW1ZSVRrdEFpU1UyTk1IRncxWWx0bU12dGlQazNjeWRBZ0lfS2tkN0NxWXBVUkZBeVIxQkxNRlpSU1ZWQk5rMU1SRk5FU0UxSk5EZE9UQzR1JnJvdXRlPXNob3J0dXJsVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>  click here.

CALLING ALL STUDENTS: It’s Time to Take the Challenge!

Delaware’s 2024 Congressional App Challenge is underway! This is a great opportunity for students interested in STEM to use their skills to solve the issues of today and tomorrow. Applications will be accepted now through October 24th. For more information, please go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/5Kc50cmn8AxOJmi5rN939Q~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RaaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29uc3RpdHVlbnQtc2VydmljZXMvMjAxNy1jb25ncmVzc2lvbmFsLWFwcC1jaGFsbGVuZ2UuaHRtVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> my website. You can also check out when I  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/u1XA7yGv_JNyFC0HSlocGw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RJaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvbmV3cy9kb2N1bWVudHNpbmdsZS5hc3B4P0RvY3VtZW50SUQ9NDA4OVcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> visited last year’s winners at their school to see one of the innovative projects first-hand.

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/mootFcflTRHUt7_AX1WmlQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0Q2aHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29udGFjdC9zdWJzY3JpYmUuaHRtVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>

Below are some helpful resources for you:

*	Lower Energy Costs: Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act that I helped pass last Congress, there are opportunities to lower your energy costs through tax credits and rebates. Check out  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/d_yY1yM3tzBqTW-rJ1cCZA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QbaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZW5lcmd5Lmdvdi9zYXZlVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> energy.gov/save to learn more.
*	Calculate Your Potential Savings: The Biden-Harris Administration’s actions are helping to lower costs and put more money back into the pockets of Americans across the country. You can calculate your potential savings at <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/FJ0kVoIURnbCGufcfW5fng~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QZaHR0cDovL2ludmVzdC5nb3YvU2F2aW5nc1cDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_>  Invest.gov/Savings.
*	Look Before You Book: Are you thinking about booking a trip? Before you do, you should ensure that your passport is up-to-date! You can go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/Ud0LxJFIhx99CM5WUI1zVg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QZaHR0cHM6Ly90cmF2ZWwuc3RhdGUuZ292L1cDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> travel.state.gov to check your passport expiration date, apply for a new passport, and more.
*	Need a Passport Appointment?: The Department of State is encouraging travelers to go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/d4AjS4CViavdbiY8UkM7tg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0TeaHR0cDovL2VuZ2FnZW1lbnQubWFpbDguaG91c2Vjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9ucy5nb3YvZi9hL2EzSVBWa1lBNkZ1QlF6UE9JNTRIbFF-fi9BQVMyeWdBfi9SZ1JvR1FsYlAwUXJhSFIwY0RvdkwzQmhjM053YjNKMFlYQndiMmx1ZEcxbGJuUXVkSEpoZG1Wc0xuTjBZWFJsTG1kdmRsY0RjM0JqUWdwbU0xdUVObWJaX3p4OVVobDJhV04wYjNKcFlYQmhibnBsY21GQVoyMWhhV3d1WTI5dFdBUUFBQU5fVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> passportappointment.travel.state.gov to schedule passport appointments within 14 days of their date of travel. You can utilize this resource until September!
*	NEW! Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): The State Department recently launched a new version of STEP. STEP is a free service for U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad to receive safety and security alerts and other local updates by email from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Enrolling in STEP also makes it easier to contact U.S. citizens during an emergency. You can sign up for these alerts at  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/PxQhnLF9n_VaTtTM8sFMVg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QQaHR0cDovL2xvZ2luLmdvdlcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> login.gov.
*	988 National Suicide Prevention Helpline: If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call 988, the 24/7, free and confidential support National Suicide Prevention Hotline. You can also go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/bP1V5_ljrVtH7Qjao8woqQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QYaHR0cHM6Ly85ODhsaWZlbGluZS5vcmcvVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> 988lifeline.org.
*	Delaware 211: Delawareans in need of emergency housing, utility assistance, food assistance, and more, call 211, Delaware’s free, confidential resource hotline.
*	U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Programs: The State Department sponsors several programs across the world that can give Americans educational, cultural, and professional experiences. Find out more about at  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/n6Y9MGMVYZCDGKDjHovzBA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QdaHR0cDovL2V4Y2hhbmdlcy5zdGF0ZS5nb3YvdXNXA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> exchanges.state.gov/us.
*	Protecting Your Data: Delaware’s Personal Data Privacy Act, legislation protecting the personal data of Delawareans, goes into effect on January 1, 2025. You can go to  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/In9KdJoebz5fMLnznbmXEw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0RIaHR0cHM6Ly9hdHRvcm5leWdlbmVyYWwuZGVsYXdhcmUuZ292L2ZyYXVkL3BlcnNvbmFsLWRhdGEtcHJpdmFjeS1wb3J0YWwvVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~> this website from the Delaware Department of Justice to find out how it will impact consumers, parents, and businesses in our state.

For this week’s constituent corner, we honor an amazing Delawarean: Diaz Bonville, my former Kent/Sussex County Outreach Coordinator, who passed away recently. Diaz’s spirit was invigorated by a deep devotion to his community, family, and faith. Diaz was well-known and well-respected across our state throughout his decades of public service. He lived by the adage, "To whom much is given, much is expected."

Diaz knew everybody, and everybody knew Diaz. It’s one of the reasons why he was such a prolific community leader, advocate, and friend. If there was a problem, people knew they could count on him to do something about it. From his time with the Indian River School District and CHEER Inc. to serving as President of West Side New Beginnings Inc., co-founder of the West Rehoboth Children and Youth Program, and an active member of the Delaware Human and Civil Rights Commission, he always put the health, wellness, and education of Sussex County residents – especially young people – at the forefront.

As the Kent/Sussex County Outreach Coordinator in my office – a position he held with pride – he showed up at local meetings, events, and celebrations, no matter how big or small. He ensured that the voices of downstate residents were heard and informed our work in Congress. I’ll always be grateful for his invaluable insight because the issues we were tackling weren’t just professional ones to him – they were personal.

While his passing is an enormous loss, the example he set – to actively serve one’s community while never losing sight of what’s truly important – must be our guiding light going forward. I am sending my deepest sympathies and prayers to his beloved family, including his wife of 44 years, Linda, his three cherished daughters and grandchildren, and everyone who experienced the joy of knowing or working with Diaz. Rest well, my friend.

As always, If you ever need assistance with federal agencies,  <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/M-fD9F1GO1xpNVsQE8ysqQ~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0T6aHR0cDovL2VuZ2FnZW1lbnQubWFpbDguaG91c2Vjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9ucy5nb3YvZi9hLzlWb01ESVZieXlrY2tMUFNPc2tRUVF-fi9BQVMyeWdBfi9SZ1JtOFpWVVAwUS1hSFIwY0hNNkx5OWliSFZ1ZEhKdlkyaGxjM1JsY2k1b2IzVnpaUzVuYjNZdlkyOXVkR0ZqZEM5dlptWnBZMlZwYm1admNtMWhkR2x2Ymk1b2RHMVhBM053WTBJS1pQcFVFQTlsU2F4RnZsSVpkbWxqZEc5eWFXRndZVzU2WlhKaFFHZHRZV2xzTG1OdmJWZ0VBQUFEZnd-flcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_> please contact my office. My team can help with a wide range of issues including (but not limited to):

*	United States Postal Service
*	Social Security Administration
*	Veterans Affairs benefits and services
*	Passport and visa processing
*	Citizenship and naturalization

Yours in service,

Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester

Member of Congress

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/QXzVgmrSh_3uvfODqDQCqg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QgaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tL1JlcExCUi9XA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/qJnYH718zJX1WJPki8ggCg~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QaaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9SZXBMQlJXA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/BqBFV7KvD098wq2UVD_FAw~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QhaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9SZXBMQlIvVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/uP7wq3StrZi5UtViujQjLA~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QfaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vQFJlcExCUlcDc3BjQgpm60VF72YrSSkYUhNjbWtyaWVzQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0WAQAAAN_>

 <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/QHbglGpuuoMBdNQjhBkg7g~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0QpaHR0cHM6Ly9ibHVudHJvY2hlc3Rlci5ob3VzZS5nb3YvY29udGFjdC9XA3NwY0IKZutFRe9mK0kpGFITY21rcmllc0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldFgEAAADfw~~> Contact Me

Washington, DC Office

1724 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4165

Wilmington District Office

1105 N. Market Street

Suite 400

Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 830-2330

Georgetown District Office

28 The Circle

Suite 2

Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 858-4773

Unsubscribe from future messages. <http://engagement.mail8.housecommunications.gov/f/a/6n-MojxWbceYWLZMf3Kk5g~~/AAS2ygA~/RgRo0cpFP0T_aHR0cHM6Ly9tYWlsLmdvdm1haWx1bnN1YnNjcmliZS5jb20vbWFpbGVycy9zdWJzY3JpcHRpb25zP2p3dD1leUpoYkdjaU9pSklVekkxTmlJc0luUjVjQ0k2SWtwWFZDSjkuZXlKNmFXUWlPaUl5TXpnME5ETTVNVFkxTmpBNE55SXNJbWxrSWpvaU9USTVNREFpTENKemRXSWlPaUp5WlhCc2FYTmhZbXgxYm5SeWIyTm9aWE4wWlhJaUxDSnBZWFFpT2pFM01qWTVOVFk0TmpsOS5Qd1VDN0owU3FhVHZBZ0JVSzV2QV9iRG9MMnlFWkpvQ00zVktOU1czUXJzVwNzcGNCCmbrRUXvZitJKRhSE2Nta3JpZXNAY29tY2FzdC5uZXRYBAAAA38~>