[Nfb-or] Student Meeting in Portland

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:48:03 UTC 2009

Hi,
In that case, Lets plan on meeting at 1 and going until we are done, which
will probably be 3ish.  Location still TBD.
Bill

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM, T. Joseph Carter
<carter.tjoseph at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>  Dear all,
>>>
>>> I suggest we discuss some ideas for what we'll cover in Friday's meeting
>>> in
>>> Portland.
>>>
>>> Last time we met it didn't occur to us until near the end of the meeting
>>> go around introducing ourselves in length. In fact, we ran out of time
>>> before everyone had the chance to share their history with the NFB, their
>>> field of study, etc. I suggest that for this meeting we start off by
>>> going
>>> around the circle sharing background information. This may be a bit on
>>> the
>>> formal side, but I think we can all manage to keep things entertaining.
>>>
>>> Then we'll have Joseph update us on the status of the Oregon School for
>>> the
>>> Blind, as Bill suggested. I can follow that with another summary of the
>>> leadership seminar in Baltimore.
>>>
>>> I really hope there will be time left after all of this, because it would
>>> be great to give everyone the time to talk about the experience of being
>>> student in Oregon. What unique problems do students face in Oregon? What
>>> do
>>> we like and not like, and what should be changed?
>>>
>>> Also, during one of these meetings I think it would be really great for
>>> us
>>> to discuss some NFB philosophy questions. During the leadership seminar I
>>> attended in Baltimore, we broke up into groups to discuss questions like:
>>>
>>> 1. Your parents or family members are happy with the increased
>>> independence
>>> you have found since joining the NFB, but when going places with you,
>>> they
>>> say, "You don't need to use your cane, you're with me!" What do you do?
>>>
>>> 2. You mention in one of your classes that you need a reader. One of your
>>> classmates offers to read to you and insists that she doesn't want to get
>>> paid. What do you do?
>>>
>>> 3. You sign up for eHarmony (a dating site). Do you mention that you are
>>> blind in your profile? Do you post pictures of yourself with your cane?
>>>
>>> 4. As blind people we are offered lots of opportunities--SSI, reduced
>>> fares, rehab services, special treatment and lots of freebies. How can we
>>> decide what we should accept and what we shouldn't?
>>>
>>> 5. Constantly feeling like we are ambassadors for the blind community can
>>> get old. Do we always have to be role models?
>>>
>>> Since we only have an hour, or at least that is the current plan, I
>>> strongly suggest that we create an agenda and allocate time for each of
>>> these talks/discussions. It could be something like this:
>>>
>>> 1:00-1:25: Everyone's Introductions. If there are five of us, then
>>> everyone
>>> would get about five minutes to speak. Oh, and I'm thinking for this to
>>> be
>>> just a rough outline, by know means should we limit ourselves to this
>>> 1:25-1:35: Joseph's updates on the Oregon School for the Blind.
>>> 1:35-1:40 Another summary of my attendance at the NFB Leadership Seminar.