[Nfb-or] Oregon Members and Legislative Seminar

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 05:15:00 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

The National Federation of the Blind of Oregon is holding its Members
and Legislative Seminar this coming weekend, February 21-22.  We will
then be meeting with legislators on February 23 at the State Capitol.

The Seminar will be held at the Residence Inn.  The state affiliate
is handling lodging costs, so if you would like to attend you need to
get in touch with Art Stevenson by phone at 503-585-4318 or by email
at artds55 at comcast.net as soon as possible.  The cost for the meal
package and registration is $45.

In order to allow for active participation and involvement of the
membership, there is no set agenda, but here is a rough outline of
what's planned:

Saturday, February 21.  We'll begin at noon and run until about 5pm.
Dinner is expected about 6pm, and we'll have an evening session
afterward.  Topics will include who the members of the NFB of Oregon are
and what brought us to the NFB, a talk with Dr. Schroeder, a discussion
of the NFB's philosophy and why it matters, the role of leadership and
members of the affiliate, and a discussion of committees.

Sunday, February 22.  Breakfast will be served between 8 and 10am.
Committees will meet during breakfast.  We will have morning, afternoon,
and evening sessions afterward.  Topics for the session include
legislative issues and preparation, an update from the Oregon Commission
for the Blind by Linda Mock, an update on the Oregon Department of
Education's plans regarding the Oregon School for the Blind by Elizabeth
Russeau-Rooney, a national legislative update, and "everything else".

Monday, February 23.  Breakfast will be served at 8am, after which we'll
be heading to the State Capitol to meet with lawmakers.

As mentioned above, we will be fortunate to have Dr. Fred Schroeder
joining us to represent the national organization.  There is much to be
done, so it is going to be a busy weekend.

Hope to see all of you there!

Joseph