[Nfb-or] OCB

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 16:48:10 UTC 2009

Tamara,

You are entitled to due process and an appeal of any and all of the
commission's decisions if you believe they are not doing what they
need to be doing.  The bureaucratic machine depends upon a sense of
learned helplessness in order to allow bureaucrats to do as little
actual work as possible.  Any time there are processes, forms,
procedures, and appeals in place, there is another opportunity for
the end user of the bureaucracy (that's you) to give up.

Likewise, there is a built-in-incentive for people within the machine
to avoid having to actually address problems, accomplish tasks, or
otherwise do the hard stuff as long as you are completing the various
bits of the process.  I'm sure I'm not saying anything here about the
nature of the bureaucratic machine you haven't said yourself (and
probably using more colorful language at least in your mind), but the
point is that few people ever see the process through to the end.
That's why there is so much process--to get you to give up before you
get to the end!

So I advise that you go through the entire process, methodically, and
as calmly as possible, and without missing a step.  You can take it
as far as it needs to go until either you're found to be wrong or
you're found to be right and the appropriate changes are made.

Joseph