[Nfb-or] Do you find this offensive?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:21:19 UTC 2009

Haben,

I think sometimes we blind people get a little too sensitive and tend
to overreact to things we think to be insults, but really aren't.  I
don't want to be misunderstood--there are some downright offensive
things said out there.  I just don't think this is one of them.  I
think it's meant to be funny, clever, or thought-provoking (perhaps
because I found it to be all three.)

Your response to sighted kid is just sublime.  Being both subtle and
non-confrontational, it is likely to be examined carefully by those
who read it to understand its meaning.  It's also subtle and a bit
mysterious.  It'll take half a moment for most sighted people to
connect back to blindness and Braille.  It's perfect.

Joseph