[Nfb-or] ocb

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 07:22:40 UTC 2010

Don,

At the moment, the only activity with the Commission involves the
Randolph-Shepperd vending program.

The vending program seems to be the source of constant conflict for
the Commission.  Numerous Blind Licensed Managers have found need to
file grievances regarding the Commission's actions over the past
couple of years.  They end up winning them, too, only to report back
that the Commission appears to be in violation of the legally binding
agreements they sign.

Recently, the director of that program at the Commission retired, and
a new person was promoted in house to his position.  The NFB-Oregon
has a 2009 resolution opposing this, made before the decision was
announced.  The new person has of course a six month probationary
period in his new position, pretty standard.

The elected committee of the vending program has recently issued a
statement of no-confidence in the new director.  The Commission has
responded by moving forward with an effort to revoke the license of
the chair of the elected committee, and the NFB-Oregon has issued a
letter of support of the elected committee's vote.  I am told the
ACB-Oregon voted also to support the elected committee, but thus far
I've not heard that they have issued any public statement.

I was present for a meeting of the elected committee this afternoon,
though I am not a vendor in the program (and based on what I have
recently seen, I would not want to be!), at which the committee
attempted to seek answers as to why they have been shut out of
decisions they feel fall under the legal mandate that they be given
full participation.  The new director was present for this meeting,
but evaded most of the pertinent questions.

Also recent is that the director of the Commission for the Blind
itself has outlined her plan to eliminate the portion of the vending
program not operating on state facilities.  Ostensibly, the plan does
not actually put the overwhelming majority of the vendors (who
operate these in these state facilities), but it would eliminate the
legal protections of which the Commission seems to run afoul so
often.

It is my opinion that several of the vendors have allowed the issue
to become personal, because the Commission's actions have direct and
personal consequences to them.  All the same, from what data I have
available to me, the Commission for the Blind appears to be operating
improperly and seeking to cover their errors by compounding them,
refusing mediation and forcing grievances, and wasting taxpayer
dollars to justify their actions when brought under legal scrutiny.

For me, the issue is not personal.  I do not know the director of the
vending program, Walt Reyes.  I have only met the director of the
Commission for the Blind Linda Mock a few times.  I do see a problem
in the administration of the Commission, and I look to see that
problem resolved.  The vendors clearly have some long-standing and
probably valid issues.  Rather than working with them, I see that the
Commission is presently working against them.

Now, this describes only what I witnessed today.  I cannot say that
the Commission has not tried to work with the vendors in the past,
because I don't know that to be true.  I can say that the vendors did
try to work with Mr. Reyes today.  Admittedly I didn't see from the
vendors any expectation of cooperation, and they indeed got none.

The last time I was involved in a touchy situation between a client
and the Commission, the agency operated with professionalism,
patience, and a genuine concern for the life and livelihood of the
client in question.  I was happy to work with them.

This is another situation, other clients, and (thank God) I am not in
the position of advocate or mediator.  Still, I hope the Commission
will live up to my previous experience.  The ball appears to be in
their court now.  I'll be watching the issue, but it's not really my
fight.

Joseph