[Nfb-or] Action Needed: OCB Proposed Plan

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:11:06 UTC 2010

Sorry, I should've posted an update.

The plan as written is dead.  Even if it were a great idea, I
understand from Kevan Worley and Scott LaBarre that it would require
changes in federal law before it could become practical.  More than
that, though, right now is not a great time to ask Oregon legislators
to make changes to the applicable state laws.

Said more plainly, if they decided to essentially gut the vending
program and turn vendors' livelihoods into a bit of extra revenue for
the state, only the vendors would be directly affected.  And even if
they rallied the entire blind population to seek retribution in the
next election, we're not a large enough population to affect the
outcome of the election.  It's probably best not to draw their
attention to the possibility just now!

There is a working group looking to see what can be done to improve
the program, but legislative changes are off the table for the time
being.

The problem is that many of the vendors feel they've been burned once
too often, so there's not a whole lot of trust.  The vendors as a
whole are saying that they feel the Commission has been dismissive of
their concerns, failed to involve them where they ought, and engages
in practices even after they've lost grievances over them and signed
binding arbitration agreements agreeing to certain changes.

The Commission's response appears to be to dismiss their concerns, to
shut them out of processes where law indicates their involvement, and
maintaining those practices.  The latest in this vein appears to be a
proposed resolution for the board of commissioners that boils down to
saying essentially that they consider the vendors' elected committee
to be operating in bad faith, that they will not hear the allegations
of the Commission's failure to comply with the law, and accusing the
committee of attempting to destroy the Commission by attacking the
reputations of Commission employees by telling people what actions
those employees have taken.

There's a bigger problem, though.

The governor's "reset committee" has been tasked officially with
eliminating government waste, paring back services, and otherwise
trying to make surgical cuts to Oregon's public institutions with a
chainsaw.  One of their unofficial charges from the outset was to
eliminate the Commission for the Blind, folding it into the DHS
mega-agency.  The justifications are to be fiscal mismanagement from
the 2009 audit of the Commission, ongoing concerns that applicable
laws are not being followed correctly, and some nebulous assumption
that eliminating the Commission would save money.  You know, like
eliminating the School for the Blind did.

Anyway, this is all basically a done deal, political back-room stuff.
The committee's report was to include the recommendation that the
Commission be closed from the day the committee was formed, and even
if every single specific problem the committee could cite were
corrected first thing Monday morning, it'd still be coming down the
pipe.  We may get the official word on Friday.

So far, the Commission's attempts to defend its own existence and
actions in public are frankly pretty weak.  Perhaps the Commission's
administration is working with legislators behind the scenes, but if
that's the case, they don't seem to be talking to the same people the
NFB of Oregon has been talking to.

It's going to take more than the NFB to save the Commission though.
It is going to take the entire population of blind people in this
state, the full force of the NFB and the ACB, all of our supporters,
and the board of commissioners of the Commission as well.

Most of the people pushing for closure of the Commission are Dems in
districts where a Democrat just is not going to lose, so it's going
to be a bit of an uphill fight.  Without the commissioners directing
the administration to make changes and following up to see that it
gets done, the odds are maybe 50/50 at best we can save it.

Joseph