[Nfb-or] FW: Memorial for Justice Betty Roberts

Mon Aug 1 15:48:46 UTC 2011

Hello Oregon Listers,

Just wanted to send this note about last week's memorial service for former Senator and Justice Betty Roberts.  As a matter of history, I worked for her as one of the youngest interns in the Oregon legislature in 1970--71.  Not sure I was even an official intern, since I was a sophomore at Willamette University, and the usual year was the junior year.  I just want to add my sincerest heartfelt condolences to her family and friends at a tremendous loss.  Not only was she one of the few really forthright politicians and judges, but a most caring and warm individual.  She had no qualms letting me work in her office, and as I recall, she was a hard fighter for the rights of all disabled, and indeed did work hard for the jury bill we passed in 1975.  She lived a good life, and we have lost a tremendous ally.

Bennett Prows

July 27, 2011 9:40 AM