[Nfb-or] [JFreeh at nfb.org: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Condemns Lack of Access to New Kindle Fire]

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 14:24:22 UTC 2011

Thanks. I was wondering about that just yesterday when I was checking
out the iPad in the Apple Store. So I guess Kindle is not competitive.
So I guess Amazon doesn't want my money!

Bummer for me. I don't have the funds to order books at the rate I used
to, but... I'll be finding another place to get the ones I am able to
budget from now on. If they don't want my business, then I'll give them
what they want, eh?

That approach has actually become my standby approach to access
challenges with my guide dog -- once courteous communication and
education fails to produce the desired results -- or even that passive
discrimination when there's a person with a dog or cane either one who
is ignored while other customers are served... "I guess you don't want
me to spend my money here," I will say, projecting my voice a bit more
than normal to ensure that whomever I hear standing around will hear me.
I've been known to pull out my wallet and the cash I have for whatever I
was going to purchase. Then I'll put it back in my purse and walk out,
saying to myself (with that extra projection, "I guess I'll go to X
(major competitor of where I am) then go home and let everyone know that
they shouldn't shop here." Stuff like that. I believe that gets the
point across and thus counts as communication and education. /evil grin/
Also, it has been known to produce some really great assistance with
whatever I was shopping for... Depending on how quickly the staff
corrects their bad manners, I may even buy what I wanted there. If I"m
still getting the passive aggression, I can always take up lots of their
time and get the information I was seeking about what I want to
purchase. Then I can go  to X to buy it because I am not rewarding bad
behavior by giving income. Then again, even before I was going around
with a white cane or black guide dog, I was sort oft that way with bad
customer service. /lol/ If you want to make it that difficult to pay you
money for goods and services, then I guess you don't want people to do
that. So, 'buy!

Okay, soapbox over. /smile/

Tami

Tami