[Nfb-or] Commission for the Blind rally

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at spiritsubstance.com
Wed Oct 19 22:07:04 UTC 2011

I told Steve Law, the reporter for the Portland Tribune, that I
wasn't the least bit concerned with whether or not Linda Mock would
ultimately be replaced.  The auditors are unhappy.  The legislature
is unhappy.  The governor is unhappy.  Ms. Mock has run the agency
for 10 years now, and hasn't been able to clean up sloppy bookkeeping
practices, and now her excuse is that she just doesn't have the
budget to account for how she's spending her budget?  It doesn't fly.

That's why I'm not concerned whether or not she will be ousted in the
end.  If she isn't, it's because the legislators want to use this
"crisis" to close the Commission for the Blind.  (Saul Alinsky 101:
Never let a crisis go to waste, and ends ALWAYS justify the means.
The same group of people used similar tactics to close our School for
the Blind.  They made a try at the Commission in 2009 as well, so you
can bet they'll be back to try again!)

If we're to keep our separate agency after 16 years of fiscal folly,
things need to be shaken up both on the Commission board itself, and
in the agency's management.  The evidence of the former is that half
of the Commissioners haven't figured out the latter yet.

The board meeting earlier this month was a disaster.  Can you
actually believe that one of the Commissioners said that if the
auditors knew the good work the Commission for the Blind was doing,
they wouldn't be quibbling over a few bookkeeping errors?  They also
said on one hand that they needed to take this audit very seriously
and communicate that they were doing so, and then almost immediately
said that they could and should disregard most of it because the
agency is doing the best it can.  I kid you not, there is a tape of
the meeting available if you can't believe it.

So my concern, as I communicated to Mr. Law, isn't whether Ms. Mock
will eventually step down over this.  It's whether or not the
Commission will continue its practice of promotion in-house by
default.  There is not one single person in the Commission structure
today capable of cleaning up the mess.  Ms. Mock continued the
practices of Mr. Young when she was promoted to fill his position,
and her in-house replacement is sure to do likewise.

It takes fresh blood at the helm.  I could think of people who would
be good administrators here in Oregon, and a few more around the
country.  Some of them are sighted, and others blind.  What a concept
eh?  A blind person leading an agency that serves the blind.

Joseph