[Nfb-or] Commission for the Blind rally

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 23:38:16 UTC 2011

Yup! Again, very well observed and said.

One thing I have found troubling is that when one does share this or
that of one's personal experience, one consistently gets a strong kibosh
from the blineness organizations and other blind people themselves.
Okay... Using alternative information gathering techniques achieves the
same result. Repeatedly!

Then there are the times one doesn't have to do anything at all to have
an opportunity to hear a blind Oregonian say all the same things...
About themselves! And to talk about themselves that way in acceptance
that it is all true.

One story like that is one too many. Hearing the same story from many
people about themselves... Not okay with me. Not okay at all.

Still... I tell my story where I think it may do some good for someone
or where some bit or piece of it may jar something lose where it
counts... My expectations there are pretty grim, but you never know...
Mostly, to be frank, I put it out every so often, where and as I can or
have opportunity, in case someone stops to think and perhaps avoid
having their own such story... Or that they recognize what is happening
before they lose too much.

I'm talking again, gently, to those who have shared their stories with
me privately and in confidence... But how do you encourage somebody to
share something so painful and so personal and so devastating while
warning them that what they're going to get from just about everyone
they talk to is going to be extremely not nice? I'm working on it, but
it beats me. Sigh.

So I've also had a number of people warn me to be quiet about my real
experience  with that agency, because they might find out I said
something... Huh???? Oh, I'm supposed to be afraid they won't provide me
with services.... Um...

They're not providing me with services. They weren't providing me with
services before I mentioned that they are not providing me with
services. So if I say that they are not providing me with services,
then, I need to live in fear that they will get wind of this and refuse
to provide me with services?

Um...

Tami