[Nfb-or] Fw: [TBABS-Or] Talking Books User Survey

Jerry Hathaway jerry.hathaway2 at frontier.com
Fri Feb 15 02:06:16 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Joel Henderson
To: tbabs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:46 PM
Subject: [TBABS-Or] Talking Books User Survey

TBABS User Survey

In the Governor's Balanced Budget for 2013-2015, the directive was given that the Oregon State Library needs to reorganize and reduce costs.  Talking Book and Braille Services is a department within the Oregon State Library, and is therefore involved in this reorganization process.

As a user of Talking Books, we are inviting you to participate in this process with us.  Community involvement is very valuable to us, and while our final course of action may not be drawn directly from the responses we collect, nevertheless your answers can provide us with vital insights that will impact the outcome of this reorganization.

We'd like as many of you to respond as possible, since the questions require only your own personal experience to answer.  There are just three multiple-choice questions and an open question at the end.  We will be collecting responses through next Friday, February 22nd.

To respond to this survey, please reply to this email and type out your answers to each question.  If you have any problems, please call us at 503-378-5390.  You can feel free to leave your answers in a voice message, or someone will call you back if necessary during business hours.  Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

1. When you think about your Talking Books service, what are your three (3) top priorities?

a.     Getting as many books as you want (flexible limits)

b.     Getting replacement books quickly (fast turn-around)

c.      A quick response time when calling or emailing us

d.     Having us create a copy of a book for you (duplication on demand)

e.     Ability to have unlimited requests on file

f.       Immediate replacement of damaged or defective equipment

g.     Everyone who qualifies and applies for the service gets an account (no maximum user cap)

2. Of the services Talking Books provides, what are your three (3) top priorities?

a.     Audio books through the mail

b.     BARD (downloadable audio and Braille books and magazines)

c.      Locally-recorded Oregon Books (books set in Oregon, about Oregon, or by Oregon authors)

d.     Magazines through the mail (audio and Braille)

e.     Embossed Braille books through the mail

f.       NFB-Newsline (newspapers and magazines in audio over the phone or via download)

g.     Descriptive Videos (DVDs and VHS movies with an added audio description of on-screen action)

h.     Voter's Guide

3. From the list below, how does Talking Books improve your quality of life (mark all that apply)?

a.     Access to free library service, even if you live outside a library service district

b.     Shipping books directly to your home address or accessible P.O. Box

c.      Getting you a copy of a book that is only available for download but you don't have a computer

d.     Community involvement through everybody reads programs and book groups

e.     Reinvigorating the joy of reading

f.       Connection to school-related reading materials and referrals to accessible academic services

g.     Instant access to downloadable books for portable reading

h.     Current events awareness through newspaper and magazine services

i.        Participation in the Oregon and National political process

4. What service(s) are we not currently providing that you think Talking Books should provide?

Joel Henderson

Admin. Program Coordinator

Talking Book and Braille Services

Oregon State Library