[Nfb-science] Detroit Convention 2009

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 20 16:02:30 UTC 2009

Hello Chelsea and listers,
Below is a preview of our exciting upcoming science and engineering
division meeting.
Please also e-mail the list your ideas for speakers and subjects you
would like to be discussed at the division meeting.
Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. Sunday evening (always check the
convention agenda for time and place)
Al Maneki is bringing a featured guest. The professor will be speaking
about a senior college engineering design project concluded this spring
to allow making raised line drawings including "erasing" which is a new
feature.
One-on-one demos will be available from 6:30 to 7:00 of the new
prototype.
The guest will present in the 7 o'clock hour.
Cary Supallo is bringing guests to give talks on scientific subjects of
interest. Division members have told me they would like to attend a
technical presentation whether the speaker is sighted or blind, and so
we have tapped some technical talent to share with us their current and
previous work.

I will present a demonstration of Chatty Infty which allows authoring
math equations using speech output.  The program is for sale from
inftyproject.org for about $500, I have tested it, and it seems quite a
promising tool for co-authoring with sighted peers and easily preparing
math material for typeset output.
The output can be saved in latex.  I do not know the easiest way to get
the output to PDF but I am sure someone will enlighten me.

I am seeking the division to hear from a current undergraduate student
about challenges and successes in engineering or science classes.
Please e-mail me off list if you would like to share with the division
or know of a student from whom you would like to hear.

We will be discussing on-going fund-raising activities for our next
scholarship stipend for attending a technical conference award.
Very best,
John