[Nfb-science] AP. Physics Logistics Questions

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Oct 8 11:06:43 UTC 2009

Hello,
Firstly I will say a little about myself so you know where my answer is
coming from. I am based in the UK so don't know much about the structure
of the courses you are doing or exactly what adjustments you should be
entitled to under US laws. I have studied at university physics to
degree level (BSC physics with theoretical physics).

Now to your questions, I will first deal with the stuff about graphs and
such like in exams.

I had a few ways of dealing with graphs for answers, partly depending on
the situation and partly depending on the complexity of the graphs. I
got agreement that if a graph was to be drawn then I could provide a
description of the graph (either to replace the graph or to help explain
my graph). If I was going to draw a graph I would have german film
(http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=87&sc=342&id=1323&it=1&l=3&d=0
<http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=87&sc=342&id=1323&it=1&l=3&d=0>).
I would then get a scribe to copy my graph, pointing out any specific
points which should be at certain values (eg. where does the graph cross
the X-axis, what are the coordinates of the maxima, etc). We would also
submit my original so that if there was any question regarding the
scribe's copy then my original could be referred to. One thing to
remember is that graphs drawn by hand tend to be sketches (well
certainly at degree level, result sets can get too big to handle by
hand) so the important thing with a sketch is to ensure important points
(eg. where it crosses an axis, points where the curve changes direction,
etc) are at the correct coordinates (or at least you show you know what
the coordinates should actually be) and the approximate shape of the
graph between the important points.

As for the other part of your question regarding virtual labs,
unfortunately for you (luckily for me) I never faced this. It doesn't
sound very satisfactory and here in the UK I believe some adjustment
would need to be made. What adjustment it would need to be I am not
quite sure and could depend on your type of working and the exact
situation and size of adjustment (here in the UK its all based on
"reasonable adjustment"). I probably would find having someone
knowledgeable in the content being covered working through the labs with
me enough, but it may require extra lab time. Also having graph material
such as the german film would be useful for the sighted person to sketch
diagrams of what is on the screen. Also ideally it should be the same
person so that you can develop a particular way of working.

Alternatively you may need to learn the lab stuff in a different way,
but this may be more difficult to work out as there is the question of
making sure you actually gain what is intended to be gained by doing the
labs. This might be reading descriptions of the experiment and have
tactile diagrams, but as I don't know the actually intended learning
outcomes I can't really make suggestions.

I will give an example of when I did actual lab experiments and some of
the adjustments. For the first year of my physics degree I had to do
some lab work. For this I had an assistant to help use the equipment and
read the output/measurements. I had the chance before to explore the
equipment being used so I could gain an idea of the set up. I was meant
to instruct my assistant in what to do with the equipment and what to
read out. None of this impacted on the learning as it was not to test
whether I could physically perform the experiment, but more to show
whether I understood what was happening, where errors may occur and how
this can impact on analysising the results. If I had just been handed
the data this probably would alter what I learnt as I wouldn't have the
chance to find out how the readout on equipment has its inaccuracies.

Michael Whapples