[Nfb-science] Hello

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 17:39:33 UTC 2010

well, the way a 3d flat drawing of a cube is done is to put the "visible"
lines in front as solid lines and the hidden lines behind as dotted lines.
That is how I remember seeing it visually. Now I confess that I never liked
the look of the cube diagrams I saw in my old textbooks.  I never got the
feeling of seeing a 3d object by looking at it, not to mention touching a
tactile representation of the same cube.  I just came to accept that funny
shaped drawing as a cube like I accepted a drawing of anything else, like a
tree or a face.  The 3d effect was nearly lost on me, perhaps due to my
vision being limited so I didn't see much at a distance.
That being said, one thing that helped me with the perspective drawings was
to take a graduate course in computer graphics.  (Ok, so it was in the stone
age in the mid 80s, but the math has not changed.)  We had to develop a 3d
simple graphics package that could be used to draw any 3d object given only
a set relevant points.  The midterm was to feed commands through the package
to draw houses from many perspectives. It was quite interesting, the math
involved hard crunching of matrices that would map points around as you
moved.  The obscured lines in the back were represented as dotted lines.
It's funny, I could barely see what I was drawing, but being a math major, I
found the course to be quite interesting.  I wonder what an analogous course
would cover nowadays.
In short, I hated 2d representations of 3d objects even when I could see the
pictures.  I think that the tactile ones would be easier, for me anyway.
--le