[Nfb-science] An intro

John J. Boyer john at godtouches.org
Thu Jun 3 13:41:31 UTC 2010

Peter,

You know me already. I'm an avid braille user and use a braille display
for everything. However, a lot of blind people program using speech
only. Both Jaws and Window Eyes are good. I'm a Jaws user myself. For
Linux there is Orca and brltty. For the Mac there is VoiceOver, which is
built into the Mac Operating system. I'm actually engaged in a big
braille transcription development projectg, so I'm a big fan of braille.
You should learn it if you don't know it already, but if you have
difficulty with it don't let that stop you from programming.  To learn
about my software development work go to http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Even bigger braille projects are in the works. We will be doing a lot
of our programming in Java because it seems to have better
cross-platform accessibility with SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit).

John