[Nfb-science] An intro

Peter Wolfe sunspot005 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:42:29 UTC 2010

Good got that and everything. Now you guys I was not born blind
technically from the onset in a way I was with heredetary issues.
However, I don't know Nemeth and if Dr. Nemeth is still living I sent
him an e-mail. Well, I need to take calculus and like I will say that
it's required. If you have tips in learning or adapting calculus that
would help tremendously. Also, in the current fields do you think the
computer science or computer informational systems is more viable with
current adaptive technology?

On 6/3/10, Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I firstly will say there's two sides to the computing options, there is
> the highly technical which I think is what comes to mind for most
> people, eg. writing computer code, etc. From my experience of that, I
> prefer using a Braille display while working with computer code. Now I
> do use speech at other times, so it really is a preference for me, I
> know others who seem to get on well enough with just speech.
>
> The other side to computing relates more to the business/management side
> of things and has less technical stuff to read (I mean by less
> technical, less code, special notation, etc). This is what my post
> graduate course is more concerned with at the moment.
>
> So before you switch you may want to look at what sort of things it will
> cover.
>
> Also I would say that what ever you choose to do you must have the
> interest and motivation to do it, simply choosing a course to avoid
> difficulties may not work out. That's why I was saying check that if you
> want a highly technical course make sure it actually is.
>
> Michael Whapples
> On 06/03/2010 02:41 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> You know me already. I'm an avid braille user and use a braille display
>> for everything. However, a lot of blind people program using speech
>> only. Both Jaws and Window Eyes are good. I'm a Jaws user myself. For
>> Linux there is Orca and brltty. For the Mac there is VoiceOver, which is
>> built into the Mac Operating system. I'm actually engaged in a big
>> braille transcription development projectg, so I'm a big fan of braille.
>> You should learn it if you don't know it already, but if you have
>> difficulty with it don't let that stop you from programming.  To learn
>> about my software development work go to http://www.abilitiessoft.com
>> Even bigger braille projects are in the works. We will be doing a lot
>> of our programming in Java because it seems to have better
>> cross-platform accessibility with SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit).
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:06:54AM -0500, Peter Wolfe wrote:
>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Webmaster