[Nfb-science] qualifying exam accommodations

Patrick Johnson pajohns1 at vt.edu
Fri Oct 1 20:19:44 UTC 2010

    May I suggest looking at your question from a different perspective?  As
I understood your e-mail the suspected reason for failing the qualifying
exam was not being able to pick up non-verbal ques from your committee.

    Instead of altering the exam format why not create a means of picking up
the non-verbal ques?  When I took my prelim, prospectus, and dissertation
defense exams I had my committee chair serve as my eyes for non-verbal ques.
She interuppted me when I became long winded, and pointed out when committee
member X looked like he had a question.

    I still did all the work, and prepared for each exam in the same way as
my peers, she simply pointed out the non-verbal ques.

Just a thought,

Patrick