[Nfb-science] qualifying exam accommodations

Stephanie Hirst sjhhirst at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 21:12:52 UTC 2010

I'm not saying I failed due to my inability to read visual cues, but
that it may have played a part.  I'm sure the result was a combination
of things, including faults in myself.  I'm pretty sure the committee
thinks I can do the research.  I think they actually want to help.
I've found ways of dealing with data analysis and generation and in
fact just recently got a manuscript accepted, so that's not the
problem.  The main problem was that they didn't like my proposal.  I
had taken communications classes already and did fine in them, by the
way.  I and my peers didn't seem to think the proposal was THAT poorly
written, to be honest.  It had to do with the specific aims of the
proposal itself and my poor ability to defend them.  That being said,
it's hard to defend something your committee thinks is indefensible
anyway.  The very best outcome would have been that I passed on
condition that I rewrite the proposal....but I didn't manage that.

Yes, maybe just have someone there to like, be my eyes?  Maybe my
mentor or some other outside party ?  I still like the idea of a
45-minute presentation with questions to follow as well.  But is this
fair considering the normal format?