[Nfb-science] "Standard" Accommodations for microscope labs

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Fri Jan 27 23:28:32 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I am a student taking a college Anatomy and Physiology course (actually my fourth A&P course), and I am having some difficulty with the science department with what is considered to be standard and acceptable accommodations for microscope labs and exams.

Due to nerve damage in my fingers, tactile graphics do not work effectively, and in the past I have used a scribe or reader to describe microscope slides, and I would then answer exam questions based on that information.

The department and the instructor feel that this gives me an unfair advantage over other students and fundamentally alters the course content. Their suggestion is to use those large plastic skin models to study from and for exams, but nearly four weeks into the semester the department has not found the models they deem adequate.

I am hoping to find either another (or several) suggestions for other accommodation techniques that the department may find acceptable, or a credible source I can reference in my arguments as to why a scribe is a standard accommodation.

I do have the full support of the college's disability office and most of the college board above the department, but the department head and instructor are unwilling to budge on the matter.

Any recommendations, suggestions, or references would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kelly