[Nfb-science] transcription of physics diagrams for this fall's college textbook

Daniel danielgillen at rcn.com
Mon Aug 5 15:59:40 UTC 2013

Dear list members,

I am Daniel Gillen, a rising sophomore planning to major in
physics at Haverford College.  As there are only four weeks
before the start of classes, I have been gearing up my materials
all summer long for my courses.  What I am the most frustrated
about now is that the Office of Disability Services (ODS) is now
only obtaining the physics textbook to do the diagrams (they've
already procured the text portions-equations rendered in MathType
so I can translate the chapters into Braille through Duxbury to
read on my BrailleNote).  As I am the first totally blind student
who uses Braille at my college in generations, I'd like to know
if any other students in my situation have used this book, whose
information is listed below:

Waves and Oscillations: A Prelude to Quantum Mechanics
by Walter Fox Smith
© 2011
ISBN13: 978-0195393491

As this was written by a professor in Haverford's physics
department, I'm not sure if this is so widely used within the
200-level physics courses like the one I'm entering.  But the
main point of my message is that the ODS wants to procure the
diagrams in-house to cut down on costs.  My concern is that if
they do it this way, using a PIAF and SimBraille font (they don't
have an embosser), I'm not sure how exactly they will render the
equations or other math notation in Nemeth code rather than using
raised print.  In the past, they've used SimBraille for Computer
Braille or raised-print renderings, but as this is not an intro
physics course, I will need to have all my information rendered
in the appropriate format to minimize confusion.  I am forwarding
this message onto the people in the ODS so they know that I am
using all the resources I can to solve this time-sensitive issue.

Thank you,
Daniel Gillen