[Nfb-science] Accessibility of plots

Dave Mehtingerr davemehringer at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 02:36:22 UTC 2013

The software package my team develops has various GUIs. Some of these are used for plotting data, usually in the form of two dimensional scatter plots or two dimensional histogram plots. The software has the ability to export these plots in popular formats, such as jpeg, png, etc. in some cases users are able to interact with the GUIs to eg, select a point or set of points.

I'm curious as to what technologies are available that would allow a blind user to examine or interact with such plots and/or how the software might be modified to make these plots more accessible.

The basic architecture is a set of C++ libraries with a python interface layer in the form of command line UI which can be used to launch to aforementioned GUIs. Our software runs on 64 bit MacOS and Linux platforms, but not Windows.

Thanks for any info or ideas.