[Nfb-science] An Inquiry About Technology and Vision Loss

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 30 16:17:41 UTC 2013

Dear Christine,

The I-Phone is a wonderful platform for a blind user.
There is a learning curve, as with everything in life.
The Mac computers are also equipped with Voice Over as all Apple products
are these days.
The Voice Over commands are, for the most part, the same from one Apple
device to another, with some exceptions.
I just started using an I-Phone -S and I like it very much.
I am still learning, but I am getting better all of the time and would
encourage other blind users to do so also.
There are many accessible blind apps and allot of them are free or cost
under $f dollars.
I took a class from my local Lighthouse, based on a program taught by the VA
and learned ho to navigate the screen, turn pages and use the different
"finger" commands to select items and activate them.

Once (VO) Voice Over is turned on under settings and selected under
accessibility, it can be turned on or off by 3 quick taps on the "home"
button.  The home button is that round button, on the bottom of the phone,
under the screen and is one of the five physical buttons on the phone.
This way you can turn it off, so a sighted person can use the phone or turn
it on for a blind person to use VO.
If you would like copies of the hand outs I got with the class I took, write
me back and I can e-mail them to you..

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.