[Nfb-science] new blog by visually impaired oceanographer - withcorrected URL

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Jul 7 16:20:27 UTC 2014

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing this.  I just read the whole blog.  I look forward to
updates.  I will try to meet this person, someday.  Maybe a trip to Woods
Hole will be in my future, who knows?  Though it is a sin, I am envious of
her.  I wish I would have done science, though I did enjoy my career, it was
fun.  I just also love science and being out on the water, though I prefer
the Great Lakes.  I did a little research on South Manitou Island in Lake
Michigan  when I was in college.  That was awesome.  We did bird banding and
census.  We were also cataloging the flora and fauna of the island.  What
great memories.

This is why I have worked hard over the past 5 years or so to develop our
science camp for blind kids.  I hope we encourage at least 1 young person to
pursue a science career.  We have a great program this summer at the
University of Michigan in Dearborn.  It is at the Environmental Interpretive
Center.  I was surprised that there is a 300 acre wilderness area in the
middle of Dearborn on the banks of the Rouge River.  Donna Posont and I
hiked there last week.  It is a really great site to introduce blind
scientists to nature.

Thanks, again.