[Nfb-science] Fwd: June 7 Birding by Ear and Beyond

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Jun 9 19:05:12 UTC 2014

Sounds like it was a great outing.

For those who are interested in birding and use an iPhone, I recommend the iBird series of apps from the App Store. While the most comprehensive, iBird Ultimate, isn't cheap $25 or so), it's fully accessible using VoiceOver. Although the menu structure is a bit complex, it works very, very well and the sound recordings of the birds (some 940 species in all that we encounter in North America) are *wonderful!* And although those of us with little or no vision can't see the photos, I'm told they're also great and there are good descriptions of many of the birds.

And iBurd Ultimate has a "birds Around Me" search setting that allows either address entry or use of the iPhone's GPS to limit searches to species one encounters within a given radius (this can be set) of one's location.

I admit this is expensive for an app but it's worth it. And there are versions of iBird with less features that run from free (including "backyard birds" to the full deal at $25.

Well worth it.

Happy birding.

Mike Freeman