[Nfb-science] looking for advice from scientists with declining vision

Bryan Duarte bjduarte at asu.edu
Sun Aug 2 20:27:03 UTC 2015

Hello Amy,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having these days. I think I can safely say these are the issues we as blind individuals face everyday in the classroom and work place. Unfortunately as you pointed out there is a finite amount of of steps we can take ourselves to gather as much information as possible, but in the end we never really can accommodate ourselves well enough to truly understand the material being presented. To work through some of these issues in the classroom I have used some of these methods to make sure I can get as much information from what is being presented as possible.
• Ask for the slides ahead of time. If you are attending a seminar or conference you might be able to talk with the presenter to have he or she email them to you after the event or before.
• Record the lecture using a tool such as Audio Note on the iDevices which will allow you to record the lecture while making notes in the note pad with time stamps allowing you to jump to that point in the lecture. For example you would be able to make a note to yourself telling you to make sure to ask about what was on this slide, or to review this concept further.
• Take notes for your own understanding. I am sure i am not telling you anything new here as you are far a head of me in your experience but some times it helps to take notes of your own to layout what you did understand, and did not understand so you can ask better questions for clarification following the presentation.
• There is really no substitute for the human eye or ability to interpret visual information today, so when it comes to understanding images, circuits, graphs, or models the best way I know of is to sit with someone you know understands the visual model and have them explain it. you seem to have a good network in place which allows you to have someone explain things to you. Another method is to have it printed out on an embosser capable of embossing graphics and you can sit and explore it with your hands if that is an option for you.

If you would like more information on technology specifically you can ask I am sure there is a lot of people with awesome technology, but if you are looking for methods of obtaining this information this is what I have to do every semester. I am a Software Engineering student and I am presented with code, circuits, graphs, and images all the time and when all said and done I spend more time, get less useful information, and I am expected to produce the same final product.

Good luck and I hope you find a way that works for you because we need more blind STEM researchers out there not less.

Go Devils!

Bryan Duarte
ASU Software Engineering
QwikEyes CEO