[Nfb-science] Suggestions for Taking Grad Stats

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:28:42 UTC 2015

Prepare for "TMI" and a lot of "Help please?"!

I'm seeking suggestions and words of wisdom for a low-vision, Braille and
large print reading graduate student, AKA (myself), taking a SAS-based
introductory statistics course. The prof is great in that she says virtually
everything she writes on the board, and walks us "stupid step-by-stupid
step" through all the exercises. Her voice and lecture pace is slow and
clear. I'm working on obtaining a far-distance viewing camera, of which I
think the most viable option as far as availability is going to be Freedom
Scientific's product; and the Infty Project software's. There is no text
book however. Just a lot of hand-written homework assignments.

There are two other graduate students in my office taking the same section
as me, one of which shares notes. The DSS office has an Emprint Spot Dot
Printer for production of tactile graphics and Braille, but is still
learning how to use it. I do have faith however.

I've used mathML files with JAWS and MathSpeak in undergrad, but am having
issues getting MathSpeak to work on my new computer. If someone could point
me to the right person to ask questions, or if you're that person and want
specifics, please respond.

I know there has been a lot of stuff done concerning JAWS compatibility with
the statistical software's. I am not a particularly technically savvy
individual, and not gifted with a particularly powerful personal laptop that
would definitely survive the installation of SAS and JAWS. I've used human
readers for inaccessible software's before, and unless I hear "SAS works
better with JAWS than without," probably won't install it this semester.
However, I will need to use SAS independently, possibly for the second
semester of stats and definitely for my research, and I want to learn more
about how JAWS and SAS interact.

I'm working steadily on a number of access and general new-grad student
issues; so I apologize if you respond and I don't get back as expeditiously.

Sincerely,

Zachary Mason