[Nfb-science] Strategies for teaching Geometric Concepts to sighted Students

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:31:14 UTC 2016

Hi All,

This semester, I will be a TA for an undergraduate physics course. Because of the low level of mathematics involved, a lot of geometric concepts will be used instead of calculus. I think I need better ways of going through and teaching geometric problems. This is a basic electromagnetism course where a lot of fields and forces are pointing in different directions and you can’t use vector calculus to simplify things. For now, I was thinking of hand drawing on the blackboard tool or describing the pictures to someone who could put them on PowerPoint slides or handouts for the students. alternatively, if the problems allow for this, I could use the old stand-by of three-dimensional objects and just start playing and demoing in class. What has worked for you in the past?

Thanks,
Chelsea