[Nfb-science] Fw: StarSonify, hear radio telescope data

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Jun 17 21:21:29 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Pranav Lal
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:08 AM
To: quorum-language at googlegroups.com ; 'Seeingwithsound-Freelists. Org'
Subject: [The vOICe] StarSonify, hear radio telescope data

Hi all,

I apologize for the cross posting.
I have created an experimental program to hear radio telescope data. You can
grab it from
https://www.dropbox.com/s/db2sb7ki0t5v2pg/StarSonify.zip?dl=1
and can see its github repository at
https://github.com/pranavlal/starsonify

To hear the data, unzip the file, maintaining its folder strucure and run
the
jar file. You should hear beeps at different positions. You will have to be
paicient because the data set has over 9000 rrows. I have also tried
implementing a visual scan line which changes position with what is being
sonified. The alpha value of the color red which is the color of the line
also
changes but I am not sure if it is visible.
The program will exit once the data set is complete.
I have taken data from
http://www.gb.nrao.edu/20m/fantastic/data.html

I have included a data set file in the zip archive. The format of that file
is:
Time, right ascension, declination, , XL, YR and sweep.
The XL and YL values are the brightness values. The sound schema is as
follows.
The sweep is not used.
1. The panning is used to denote horizontal position.
2. The frequency and 3d audio is used to denote height.
3. The volume is used to indicate brightness.

The above schema is derived from the vOICe a generic solution to convert
images
to sound. See http://www.seeingwithsound.com for more information.

Pranav