[Nfb-science] Multi-sensory Mountain Project

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sun Sep 24 21:27:45 UTC 2017

Hi Tina,

I do not know how I can help, but I would love such a project.  Our
Sense-sational Adventures in Summer Science (SASS), which the NFB of
Michigan does, would benefit from your work.  Just knowing how such a model
can be created is an amazing piece of knowledge.  I think our program for
2018 will deal with sound.  I have been to Yellowstone and have heard many
of the sounds of a volcano.  I'm not sure if Mt. St. Helen has geysers or
bubbling pots of hot mud or anything like that, but such sounds would be
really great to capture.

I have been considering a much more modest sound idea of placing a
microphone or microphones in places and streaming them so that we could
listen to sounds from various environments.  We could compare these sounds
over time, including time of day and season to season.  Such a microphone on
a volcano would be an awesome addition to this idea.

Like you, I understand the complexity of pulling these ideas off, but unless
we try, they will not happen.

Thanks for helping our blind future scientists be successful.

Warmest Regards,

Fred