[Nfb-science] ideas for labeling small 3-D printed objects

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Mon Apr 16 18:38:21 UTC 2018

Hi Kendra,

You make a good point! How about this:

If the fabricated artifacts are located in little compartments or cubbies,
then we could put the bar code or QR code in a particular place on the
bottom of the compartment.  By placing the bar code or QR code in a
predictable place within the compartment -- perhaps even providing a place
to rest the phone and camera so it will focus on the code -- we make it
more likely that a patron of the museum will be able to use the exhibit as
intended.

Designing for interactive exhibits is really a matter of designing the
space so that it is easy to do things one way, and less likely people will
do things in any other way.  This makes it more certain that patrons to the
museum will experience the materials as the experts want them to experience
them.

Of course, one reason to not design in this way is if the goal is to get
the museum patrons to `discover` their own way.  We might design an
interactive exhibit like this to help people learn how archaeologists
design and conduct a dig, in order to better teach the systematic science
behind archaeology.

_don

Don Winiecki
Handid Media • a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
dwiniecki at handid.org
http://handid.org