[NFB-Science] Revisit Apollo 13

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 01:23:23 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

	Here's another idea that builds on Norene's suggestion about
recreating the Apollo 11 Moon Missing nand landing. I'm sure many of you are
familliar with Apollo 13 and the efforts to rescue the astronauts and return
them safely to the earth. If you can gain access to 3D printers and someone
who can help teach their use perhaps the mission could include creating the
device that removed the excess CO2 from the space capsule to allow the
astronauts to survive the rest of their journey home. This would also make
for a fauray into how blind people can create objects using 3D printing
technology independently. By using 3D technology the stranded astronauts
could create this device using the on-board 3D printer that has its own
power source so as not to use any of the power needed to bring them safely
to a successful splash down. The Odyssey was the name of the Apollo 13
Command Module and Aquarrius was the name of the Lunar Module which service
as the crew's "Life boat" until it was time for them to land back on earch.
I skipped a few details but this would be a great project for a future STEM
or BELL activity.

Peter Donahue