[NFB-Science] A Student Struggling in Math Class

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:00:13 UTC 2018

Hello All,

I am currently taking a college algebra class, and we are currently learning about functions of logarithms. I am feeling rather confused in trying to learn these concepts regarding functions of logarithms.

Most of the materials for my class are not accessible, and I need to use a reader whenever I am working on any of my homework for my math class. However, since the disabilities office is rather short staffed right now, and do not really have any readers qualified to read my math materials to me correctly, I have often used the tutoring office to serve more as a reader rather than a tutor.

However, now that I am struggling to learn and understand the material, I am having a difficult time receiving services from the tutoring office so that I can learn and understand the material for my math class. The last time I was able to talk to my professor during his office hours, I was told that I should not be too concerned about understanding the material because I was able to understand how to change functions of logarithms into exponential form which he considered to be the most important thing about logarithms. But now he seems rather concerned about me because I keep looking dazed and confused in class.

The office hours for my professor do not exactly fit well into my schedule, and I have a paper I have not started yet for another class that is due on Wednesday that I have not been able to start because I have been drawn into a whole lot of unnecessary drama with my state student division. So I am just wondering if there are any other places online where I can find math materials in an accessible and user friendly format that could help me learn and understand the concepts of functions of logarithms. I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions as to how I might be able to learn and understand this material for my next math exam scheduled for after Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
Elizabeth