[NFB-Science] Technical gaps that need to be filled for math classes.

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 31 03:34:24 UTC 2019

It has been reported on the Blind-math listserv that it would cost at least
6 million dollars to bring the Graphiti into production. Even if it could be
produced in quantity, it would probably cost several thousand dollars per
unit. It's a very promising product, but I don't think anybody is going to
spend the money it would take to bring it into production.
I had one braille math textbook in college, just over 50 years ago. The rest
of my texts in math, science and engineering were on tape. In several cases
I supervised the reading of those tapes by paid student readers. I admit
that I have an aptitude for mathematics, or I wouldn't have gone into
electronics engineering, and I had some good braille textbooks and
instruction at the Iowa Braille and Sight-Saving School right before
entering Iowa State University. I didn't try to do very many of the
exercises in my college math classes, but concentrated on learning the
material, taking notes in class, and passing the tests that were given. And
I flunked and had to retake one of my courses in linear differential
equations because I didn't keep up with it.
Just because braille textbooks are expensive does not mean that they will be
produced quickly enough. The number of people who know how to transcribe
math into braille is quite limited, and they are working hard to get
textbooks done in the K through 12 arena. There are lively arguments among
experts as to how to best represent math in the EPUB file format so that it
will look right to sighted users and at the same time be accurately and
usably represented in braille and/or speech.
Virtual Pencil was, I think, mostly designed to teach math concepts at lower
grade levels than what you are working with. Again, more work is being done
to make math and science accessible to the larger number of students in K
through 12 than at the college level. Making progress on the TEACH Act would
help.
You have come to the right place to talk about these issues, and to
sometimes find solutions. But STEM fields are in a constant state of change,
and we as blind people have to be really creative in order to make progress
and be successful.
There may be too much emphasis on solving these mathematical functions
graphically, when an algebraic or calculus solution is usually more
accurate. On the other hand, scientific data is usually found as coordinates
of multiple variables in space and time, and it's a struggle to represent
them accurately in two dimensions or to find trends that represent real
effects.
I hope you can get the help you need with the calculator and the notetaker.
But no matter what happens, problem-solving is the name of the game in
science.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD