[NFB-Science] Disabling programs at start-up for Windows 10

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 22 02:40:21 UTC 2020

Hello,

Recently the IT department at my work has been adding a number of applications to the start menu with enable checked for my Windows 10 computer.

I think JAWS is more stable with some of the applications closed.

It was good practice for me to figure out how to enable or disable these applications.

For example, I set out to disable Microsoft Teams on my start menu.

Here are the steps to disable any startup programs:

Open task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL, pressing TAB a few times to get to 'Task Manager' and selecting with ENTER. The task manager opens on the Processes tab. Navigate to the startup tab by pressing TAB 3 times until you can see 'Processes,' then right arrow to the 'Startup' tab. Access the app list by pressing TAB and down-arrowing to the desired app. Disable the app by pressing ALT+A.

No need to press save, the settings will be saved when you edit them.

Close task manager as usual with alt-f4.

Best Regards,

John