[NFB-Science] Questions regarding using Latex and data visualization

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 25 14:07:07 UTC 2020

Hi Purvi,

For LaTeX:
1. There are many accessible tutorials that you can find on google.
2. For compiling, I use MiKTeX from the command line. This takes a bit of work to set up, but it is very accessible and allows you to make both RTF files and pdf files.
You could also use the Edsharp editor to both write and compile LaTeX.
3. There is no way to ensure that the PDF file looks exactly like you intended without sighted assistance. As you get better with LaTeX however, you will produce the PDF you intend a higher percentage of the time.

For data visualization:
1. As Louis pointed out, SAS is great for accessible data visualization. You don't even need to know SAS to use there accessible data visualizer, which is called the SAS Graphics Accelerator (SGA). The SGA is a free google chrome extension where you can upload data from excel or other sources and use sound to visualize it, called sonification.
Learning SAS will also be great if you want to continue in statistics.
You can also use R, which is another accessible statistical software. The sonification is much more minimal. The "sonify" R package allows for basic sonification. However, you can do a lot in data anlysis without needing "visualization".
3. Yes, there are tutorials for both SAS and R that you can find on google. Louis also provided some links.

Kevin