[NFB-Science] Blind Students interest in Chemical Engineering at MIT

Murthy Konda nvsnmurthy at gmail.com
Wed May 26 01:50:43 UTC 2021

Dear All,

I am new on this mailing list and would like to introduce myself. I have a
PhD in Chemical Engineering from Singapore and worked at Imperial College
London before moving to the US in 2011. Since then, I worked at two Federal
Labs under the US Department of Energy prior to moving to industry
recently. As a low vision Engineer and Scientist, I rely heavily on several
assistive technologies including Windows Magnifier, Voice Over in iPhone,
and a Cane.

Currently, I am helping a blind student in deciding between Chemical
Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering. The student secured a good SAT
score and considering, among others, MIT and University of Illinois. Some
of the specific questions that I am hoping to help this student with
include:

1)      Is there anything the student can do to maximize his chances of
admission any given school? (since I have not studied in the US, I am not
quite sure about the admission process and best practices).

2)      Are there any websites and other resources towards helping
prospective blind students to take informed decisions while choosing
undergraduate engineering disciplines and Universities?

3)      How to find out how ‘accessible’ an engineering discipline is at
any given University? What types of accommodations available at the
Department- and/or University-level. For instance, I am aware of a
campus-wide accommodations center at Imperial College London. Not sure how
these work here in the US. I have reached out to the Chair of the Chemical
Engineering at MIT and hoping to hear from her.

While I am currently focusing on helping this student from Chicago area, my
long-term goal is to guide many such talented students interested in
pursuing Engineering Education.

I hope I am able to make myself clear. Any of your advice would be greatly
appreciated. As needed, I am also available to speak on phone.

Sincerely

Murthy Konda, PhD