[NFB-Science] Looking for Blind Mechanical Engineer

Kahmile A Whitby kawhitby at mit.edu
Mon Oct 31 17:23:33 UTC 2022

Hi All,

My name is Kahmile (that last syllable pronounced like the unit for distance). I am an undergraduate student at MIT majoring in mechanical Engineering. I just joined this list today and am seeking advice and/or mentorship on how to navigate the remainder of my undergraduate career effectively with total blindness.

I can no longer access complicated engineering diagrams with my eyes and I also have been struggling to complete complex algebra, matrix operations, calculus and vector calculus without vision.

Are there any practicing blind mechanical engineers on this list? I also welcome any advice from anyone who has completed undergrad without vision or is working in a technical field without vision because that would also help with my general courses and overall educational experience.

Best Regards,
Kahmile

Kahmile Whitby
Department of Mechanical Engineering