[NFB-Science] exploring pine trees on Mount San Jacinto

donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 18:41:49 UTC 2024

Hi John,
This sounds like you had a fabulous opportunity. You may remember that I
coordinate the Birding by Ear and Beyond program at the University of
Michigan Dearborn. The Beyond word in the title pertains to nature
exploration with subjects such as tree identification. We feel the bark and
also the shapes of the leaves in summer. With Pines we count the number of
needles, which are leaves, in a cluster. For example, the White Pine has
five needles bound together and that happens to be our state tree. The Red
Pine typically has three needles in a cluster and bark that feels like
flakey pie crust. Anyway, it is fun to learn about the wonders in nature and
I have great passion for learning techniques that blind people can use in
the natural environment.
Blessings,
Donna Posont