[NFB-Seniors-Discussion] Gardening Methods

pmdonahue2 at gmail.com pmdonahue2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:00:36 UTC 2021

Good morning everyone,

                Water or hydroponic gardening has been around for a long time. Many types of plants including vegetables and some fruits can be grown in a water garden. It sounds like the garden this gentleman created contains decorative plants.

                If you visit the Land Pavilion at EPCOT Center you can see several types of gardening including hydroponic, arroponic, and squarefoot gardening. In hydroponic gardening the plants are placed in a growing medium and the medium is immersed into water. In arroponic gardening the plants are hung or placed on a structure with their roots exposed. Periodically the roots are misted with a nutrient solution that sustains the plant’s life.

                Square foot gardening was made famous by the late Mel Bartholomew. He wrote a number of books on this gardening method including how to create cash from a squarefoot garden. In addition to his books he also had a show on The Discovery Channel in the early 1990s. I’d like to find the videos of his show but they’ve been hard to get my hands on.

In squarefoot gardening instead of being planted in rows as in single-row or traditional gardening the garden beds are blocked off into single square foot areas. Depending on the size of the plands to be grown the squares are planted with 1, 4, 9, or 16 seeds or seedlings. This is a soil gardening method so get the best growing soil you can find.

                Bartholamew was very enthusiastic when it came to involving the elderly and disabled to his gardening method. The growing beds can be positioned directly on the ground or they can be created as raised beds to accommodate the needs of those using wheelchairs or with other conditions that prevent them from tending a garden bed placed directly on the ground. The structures for hydroponic and arroponic gardening can also be created as raised beds for the same reason.

                Wall and container gardens are yet another way to grow stuff no matter where you live. This is a reason why we want out of this apartment so we’ll have more space for planting a garden. Fresh flowers and vegetables are beautiful and yummy! Happy gardening.

Peter Donahue