[NFB-Seniors-Discussion] I hate being blind - Can or do you ever say this?

robertleslienewman at gmail.com robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 18:35:29 UTC 2021

Hi Fellow Discussion List Members

It has been very quiet here of late, and so read my short paragraph below
and share-

Most times, when I meet a new person and they ask me what is it like to be
blind, I will say something like this:

Well. Let me start off with telling you that my story starts out with the
fact that I was born with Twenty-twenty vision, and at age fifteen, I was in
a car accident and lost all my sight; I cannot even see light. Now, I see
just as good out of the back of my head, as I do the front. And what I have
learned, is that being blind, not able to use my eyes to do things in life
is not so difficult; that most everything can be done non-visually. And that
I've also learned that the toughest and most frustrating part of being blind
is how other people view you, and treat you; they can make it more
disheartening and difficult to do what I know I can do. But hey, though I
hate being blind, life is to big and beautiful to get hung up in the small
things; like being blind.

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

Omaha, Nebraska