[NFB-Seniors-Discussion] [Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Nebraska Senior Division - handout from our May meeting - A new all-terrain cane and learn about different cane tips

christineboone2 at gmail.com christineboone2 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 18:57:05 UTC 2023

Greetings all,

What an incredible list of cane tips. There were 3 or 4 at the end of the
list, of which I have never heard. The rest however, are one and all
inferior to the metal tip which is available through the Independence
Market. They are also more costly.

As some of you know, I spend nearly a decade directing the training center
at the Michigan Commission for the Blind, which is now the Michigan Bureau
of Services for Blind Persons or (BSBP) Upon my arrival there, all 4 of our
cane travel instructors preferred folding aluminum canes with either the
roller ball tip (large or small), or the marshmallow tip. As my management
style is quite different from most, rather than challenging these
instructors I entered into conversations with them. Through our many
discussions I had the chance to use most of the cane tips on this list, in
the company of our instructors. I was also tested by being taken on an easy
travel route with some small tripping or stumbling hazards along the way. I
chose to use the rigid fiberglass cane with the metal tip. When I easily
located every hazard and an icy patch along the sidewalk, my instructor was
impressed in spite of himself. None of the other tips used in our Center
could do that. He was also impressed by the flexibility and sensitivity of
the cane. Over the next few years I began to hear the familiar ring of metal
tipped canes traveling through our center, students began walking more
quickly as the lengths of their canes increased, and when several students
requested "NFB canes" and outperformed their partially sighted colleagues
although they were themselves totally blind, the culture there underwent a
significant change for the better. Hmmm, job placements increased markedly
at the same time.

That is only my personal experience, shared with you for your information.

With warm regards to all,

Christine